supercharger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

supercharger

ok, well theres this 2004 cobra eaton supercharger on craigslist for $450 where i live... i was thinking about buying it for my dads '92 PI crown vic, would that even work, there both 4.6's...wouldnt i have to change computers and stuff like that or could i leave it...and would the engine even be able to handle a supercharger or would it fall on its face... im really thinking about buying it for a present or sumthin... thanks
    ---1990 Lincon LSC., 5.0 H.O., 55,000 ORIG. miles, 3:73 Posi, Bullit rims, 3G alt., 2.5" full-back exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, Flowmaster mufflers. My DD
    ---1985 Grand Marquis 2-door., Fresh 5.0, slick-top, GT40P's, 1.7 RR's, FRPP headers, 3G alt., Weiand Stealth intake, 650 cfm holley, 2.5" side-exit exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, 3:55 Posi, Bucket seats, custom center console. My Toy

cobras are 4 valve. The intakes are different. Even if you could bolt it up, lots of computer changes, you'll need a tune, huge fuel pump, injectors, etc...
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

yea thats what i thought... but there are a couple newer mark 8's, at the junkyard, didnt they come with the cobra engines, couldnt i take the heads and other parts off of that and make it work, or would it just be a big confusing mess...thanks
      ---1990 Lincon LSC., 5.0 H.O., 55,000 ORIG. miles, 3:73 Posi, Bullit rims, 3G alt., 2.5" full-back exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, Flowmaster mufflers. My DD
      ---1985 Grand Marquis 2-door., Fresh 5.0, slick-top, GT40P's, 1.7 RR's, FRPP headers, 3G alt., Weiand Stealth intake, 650 cfm holley, 2.5" side-exit exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, 3:55 Posi, Bucket seats, custom center console. My Toy

Comment

You would be looking at a big confusing mess. There are several things which will be needed, to get the supercharger in the Vic:
        1. A Tune/chip
        2. electrical/vacuum/cable (ie, throttle) mods
        -and either-
        3. "C" DOHC heads -or-
        4. An adapter manifold.

Let's go through these needs.
        1. Being that you have a '92 to work with, you may find that you are unable to get a chip or tune for the car, particularly if it is a Bastard Block (early 4.6 w/ the bolt pattern for a AOD trans).

2. Stuff like this is par for the course for anything custom. This would be an untrod path (in a Vic), so you'd need to figure a lot of this stuff out yourself.

3 and 4: The cobra supercharger/intake is designed to be installed on the DOHC "C" type heads, which I believe come on 99+ DOHC engines. Earlier DOHC engines used the "B" heads, and the C manifolds are not backwards compatible.
        However, there are adapter manifolds for the 2 valve engines. Once again, these are designed for PI heads (99-04 mustangs, 01+ Vics), but you can make it work.
        The bad part: the price. Check one of the manifolds out HERE.

-Rob
        1996 Police Interceptor-187K miles **Replacement DD found**
        Engine/trans: '03 4.6, underdrives, shorties, 80mm MAF, Custom downpipes, Ported plenum, 70MM T/B, and Dyno Tune. J-modded Y2K 4r70w w/ Marauder TC.
        Misc: ADDCO bars, Big brakes, 17" wheels, '02 steering box, and LXSport console w/ floor shift! :headbang:

Comment

MK8 internals not forged like the Cobras were.

Comment

oh they are... well what all could be put on the vic from the mark 8 engine... arent the heads alot better than the stock ones on it now... or would that be a big pain also... this 92 year sux, and it does have the aod

Comment

physically installing the 4v heads on a 92 would be a problem. I dont think they'll clear the wiper box and stuff. If you were going to all that trouble, you'd probably be better off just swapping the whole engine. There would be a lot of electrical issues to deal with, since there is no drop-in solution for a DOHC Vic for that year. Probably you'd be looking at custom modding the VIII harness to get it in there. There would be clearence issues with the wiper box, and probably trans issues too. The stocker would be either an AOD or an AODE, depending on manufacture date. AOD is not remotely compatible, AODE would need re-pinning of the harness. Would be easier to swap in the 4R70w out of the VIII to be honest.

It can be done, but its far from a weekend project and it wouldn't be cheap.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

man, well that sux... this car would be a complete sleeper wit a supercharger lol but oh well maybe some other time... and my dad has been thinkin about buying a 5-speed out of a mustang gt...would that work or should we just throw out all of our ideas for this car since this is such a crappy year for the vic...thanks...... but would this supercharger still be a good buy $450.

Comment

It may be, but im not sure. Go google the sold prices for those blowers.

Either way, its not worth the time on that motor, especially if its a bastard block (2 bolt starter).

IF you are serious and want to dump serious cash, go find a PI 4.6 and go get a blower. Expect high 13s and a blown trans unless the trans is built halfway decent.

Comment

Working...
                  X