AirBag Light Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AirBag Light Question

Hi All, Aero just developed this little problem. After the normal six seconds it stays on when you start the car, the light goes out, then flashes 5 times, then goes out again, then flashes 1 time, and repeats this cycle. I'm going to assume that this is a code. Code 51. Any of you guys who have or are working for Ford, know what a code 51 for the airbags mean?

51 Diagnostic Monitor Internal Thermal Fuse - Blown and Short to Ground No Longer Exists

Google is your friend.
    Originally posted by gadget73
    There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
    91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
    93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
    Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
    Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
    95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Originally posted by 91waggin View Post
      51 Diagnostic Monitor Internal Thermal Fuse - Blown and Short to Ground No Longer Exists

Google is your friend.
      Thanks 91waggin
      Where is my mind tonight :lol:
      What does that mean exactly?

Comment

I would guess that it means that there's some sort of internal fuse in the airbag computer that blew. But I am no expert.
        Originally posted by gadget73
        There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
        91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
        93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
        Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
        Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
        95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
          What does that mean exactly?
          Hi 86VickyLX

It means the air bag god is about to fuck you in the ass with a 12 inch rubber cock and no lube

Code 51 means there was/is a short to ground in the air bag deployment circuit and the diagnostic monitor internal thermal fuse has blown to prevent unintentional air bag deployment.

DO NOT replace the diagnostic monitor without finding/servicing the short or you WILL blow another diagnostic monitor.

Most probable place in my experiance for a short is in the clockspring, if the clockspring is okay then you have to play follow the wires to track down the short.

Regards

Dereck
          President and founder of The Turbine Wheel Appreciation Society and Little Debbie Cake Connoissuer

Also "The Pondside Pain In Your Posterior"

Comment

Originally posted by Dereck View Post
            Hi 86VickyLX

It means the air bag god is about to fuck you in the ass with a 12 inch rubber cock and no lube
            :lol:
            Originally posted by Dereck View Post
            Code 51 means there was/is a short to ground in the air bag deployment circuit and the diagnostic monitor internal thermal fuse has blown to prevent unintentional air bag deployment.

DO NOT replace the diagnostic monitor without finding/servicing the short or you WILL blow another diagnostic monitor.

Most probable place in my experiance for a short is in the clockspring, if the clockspring is okay then you have to play follow the wires to track down the short.

Regards

Dereck
            Ok, I think I'll let Tony have a look at it. How much does a diagnostic monitor go for anyway?

Comment

WON MEELLION
              DOLLARZZ

Comment

Originally posted by 97cv View Post

WON MEELLION
                DOLLARZZ

Comment

My car's air-bag light is flashing too and the previous owner put a piece of electrical tape over it.
                  '79 Continental Town Car
                  '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                  '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Working...
                  X