Amp hook up question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amp hook up question

Where should the main power to the AMP come from? Battery directly? Or fuse box?
    2000 Grand Marquis LS
    2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
    1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
    Mercury Owners Group member
    Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Just power it directly from the battery with an in-line fuse.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
    But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

It's an 800 Watt Kenwood, what gauge wire should I use? What size fuse?
      2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

from the battery. 4 ga wire is probably overkill, but its better to err on the side of caution, especially given how long the cable is. Check the fuse on the amp (may have 2, add them if so) and add say 10 amps, and that would make a good front fuse. You'll want the fuse close to the battery, just in case that cable shorts somewhere along the line, that way it will blow the fuse instead of catching the car on fire. Might also want to consider an alternator upgrade, yours is probably a 55 or 65 amp.

If this is the VW, 8 ga is probably fine, the amp will be like 2 feet from the battery. Make sure you add a capacitor if its the VW, otherwise you'll hear the chatter from the mechanical voltage regulator. Also keep in mind its a 30 amp generator. The stock alternator that you can replace it with is all of 55 amps.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It's the Merc. I was looking last night for a place to run the power line through the firewall, that should be interesting...

The sub box I got won't fit in the VW...
          2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

i can help with this if needed at SF. easiest thing to do is go to wal-mart and get an amp wiring kit that has the RCA cables, power line, ground line, fuse, and remote wire. if no remote line is with the kit, regular speaker line can be used since it is just to send a signal to amp when to power on from the head unit.
            Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Might just take you up on that.

I already have an AMP in place. All wired, just need to run a main line to it and a better ground.
              Last edited by 85MercPark; 08-05-2008, 02:29 PM.
              2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

ooohhh I wanna help take apart the waggin ! save it for saturday!
                Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                sigpic
                85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Got a wedding Saturday, be there Sunday...
                  2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

ampwiring

i used to do car audio for a living with 800 w 4 gage might be overkill but if you plan to upgrade thats what id use 8 g is nect best thing i usually jyst punch a hole through the fire wall with a air hammer with a spike looking bit thingy on it then run a peice of tube through it cut off at 45 degree angle or so and run the wire throug the tube to the battery. then id plug the hole with a rubber grommet type thing or seal it with something like epoxy or silicone sealer also i usually dont run my ground anymore than 10 inches from the amp as well. me personally i dont use caps unless i need it i have a 1000 amp battery for my car so im good lol the best amp i have found is hifonics , you can run them all day and barley be warm,also these amps punch out some juice!!!! sonicelctronix i believ is the place i get my amps from if i remeber right. happy hunting and goo dluck with the install
                    89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

NECROPOST... would have gotten done at SF but dang rain... as far as running the power line, i always notch the rubber grommet where the antenna line runs thru the firewall and feed thru there... best if you got a clothes hanger to use as a fish line to pull the line since the rubber plug is under the blower and stuff...
                      Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Remove amp, lose dead weight. A 160 Watt head unit is more than plenty to cause hearing damage.
                        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Direct from battery with amp wiring kit from wal-mart will suffice.
                          1963 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88 Holiday
                          1964 Chrysler Newport
                          1986 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX
                          1997 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor
                          sigpic

Comment

The conversion of Watts to Amps is governed by the equation Amps = Watts/Volts
                            so 800/12 = 66.6666666 amps. so 4 ga wire is WAY overkill. 8 ga is a better fit, the 4 ga will handle twice the load.
                            http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm
                            What happened here?

Comment

the other thing is the bigger the wire the more power you push through it i tend to like 4 ga myself also nevr use walkmart wiring like 12 or 16 wire to power your amp ive seen it catch fire twice now lol
                              89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Working...
                              X