Sub box wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sub box wiring

I had a large set of home speakers, MTX, with large 12 inch woofers, a mid range and high range tweeter.

I took the high and mid out of them and put them into my new car sub box. It all works well, but my question is on the wire size inside the box.

The wires they used are incredibly small in my opinion. In this image I am gonna say they are in the neighbor hood of 20-30 gauge. Is that sufficient inside the box? I would think they should be a lot bigger.
    Should I upgrade them inside the box? I know I need bigger wires from the amp to the box. My AMP will be a 600W Kenwood.

2000 Grand Marquis LS
    2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
    1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
    Mercury Owners Group member
    Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

At least use a 12guage, I used 8guage on my stereo for my car. I believe you'll just mess thinks up with that thin of wiring. Not exactly what I'd use. Of course for 12 inch subs I'd use a bigger amp and thicker wiring. But that's just me. I had 2 12" xplods and used a 1200 amp with 8guage wiring
    sigpic[LIST][*]99 Crown Vic Police Interceptor aka The Cruiser
    [*]87 Chevy 20 Van 350TBI
    [*]94 Mercury Grand Marquis aka Babyblue RIP
    [*]83 Chrysler New Yorker 5th Ave 318 V8

Comment

if thisis for your sub box, dontbother with highs and mids. the whole point of subs is bass. for the subs, use 12g

Comment

12ga, is fine for the sub wiring, unless your doing dB drag and running 2000W to each sub
        http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
        http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Originally posted by LumpyCheeseman View Post
          if thisis for your sub box, dont bother with highs and mids. the whole point of subs is bass. for the subs, use 12g
          With a wagon there's no good place to put mids and highs in the rear unless you put them in those side panels. Those point sideways. I like having it all in one area and have one amp power it all back there.

I will upgrade the wires to the sub to at least 12, thanks
          2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

for wiring in a sub box, the wires from amp to subs shouls always be no less than 8 gauge. from battery to amp always should be no less that 4 gauage. as far as internal speakers always use 16 gauge.

my cardomain page is http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2944469

Comment

I threw my old EQ into the mix and it sounds much better. I think a few wire upgrades and it will be good. Just need to add some door speakers and I'm done.

Thanks...
              2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

I always wondered why is the wiring inside those speaker boxes is so much smaller?

Even in speakers i have looked at for PA systems with 20 in subwoofers the wiring inside seems so tiny.
                Last edited by ÆJackacks; 02-06-2009, 09:33 PM.
                Ont And Canada PPL The Cookhouse in Dwight

91 Grand Marq . . . . . . 88 ho wagon (project) . . . . . . 80' Lincoln Mark VI

Comment

8g to the subs??? how did i miss that???

the only time you need 8g to the subs is if you are running like.....5000w subs.

i had a pair of 1kw subs and nothing more than 12g on them, they were just fine. had i had it, i might have used 10g, but 8g is massive overkill.

and as for how tiny, its a matter of the wattage, just cause the speaker is physically huge doesnt mean its high wattage. most pa's i see are maybe 350-500w max, the psu in my tower is rated higher than that.

Comment

Working...
                  X