Is this a good radio to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this a good radio to buy?

Hi. I am looking to put some subs into my car. I have already bought the 1,000 watt amp. I am not all that familar with radios. So I found this one on Ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...086683732&rd=1
    I'm thinking about buying it, but not sure how it'll hold up to some 11 or 12 inch subs. Any info will be apreciated

Well, I didn't buy the radio off of Ebay. I don't usually trust buying electronics from there, so I bought a kenwood brand new from a store. So now I am trying to find some subs to put in my trunk where the spare tire goes.

Comment

eBay's not bad in general, I've had good luck with all my purchases. Jensen I'm not all to familiar with though so I'm not to sure the quality, I know our boat has a Jensen receiver that always worked well. You might want to look into Crutchfield's website, just for info on what to look for in a head unit, like RMS vs. peak power, sensitivity, inputs, outputs, and so on. My family has always purchased Pioneer head units and never had a problem. I put one Sony Xplod unit into my mom's Park Ave and the Radio won't always work, though the car's got some electrical gremlins. I think both Pioneer and perhaps even Blaupunkt would be some brands to look into. Great places to shop are eBay, Amazon, Overstock, in store clearance or open box, even in the For Sale section here.
      sigpic
      1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
      Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

Welp, I just got the subs today at a flea market. There 2 12's, and there Sony Explodes. There in preety good shape. I will post some pics when I get it all hooked up. I think they'll do some nice thumping. I hope anyways.

Comment

I hate my Kenwood. 3 years old and it wont play past about 2/3 of the cd. the interface also sucks. Need to plot my next radio purchase. Its a shame everything modern looks horribly out of place in the factory dash. I'm almost tempted to retrofit a later model radio, or rebuild a stock radio with the JBL system. I hate working on modern electronics though, circuit boards are a pain in the ass to overhaul. I was told something like 200 capacitors on the stock radio board to fully rebuild one. Not really interested in all that BS. That sounds awful high to me, but I've never had one opened either.

Jensen used to make incredible speakers. They were the bee's knees back in the 50s and 60s. I've had a Jensen cd player on our boat for probably 8 years now, works great.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ok I'll let you know, My ebay experiance with electronics weren't so good, I fried the Jension dvd player I bought from them but it was used. I had a Jenson cassette player in my 83 New Yorker 5th Ave, and I still have it, it never let me down. I perfer Pioneer when it comes to head units. Xplods by sony are decent when you're on a budget.
            sigpic[LIST][*]99 Crown Vic Police Interceptor aka The Cruiser
            [*]87 Chevy 20 Van 350TBI
            [*]94 Mercury Grand Marquis aka Babyblue RIP
            [*]83 Chrysler New Yorker 5th Ave 318 V8

Comment

try this

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              I hate my Kenwood. 3 years old and it wont play past about 2/3 of the cd. the interface also sucks. Need to plot my next radio purchase. Its a shame everything modern looks horribly out of place in the factory dash. I'm almost tempted to retrofit a later model radio, or rebuild a stock radio with the JBL system. I hate working on modern electronics though, circuit boards are a pain in the ass to overhaul. I was told something like 200 capacitors on the stock radio board to fully rebuild one. Not really interested in all that BS. That sounds awful high to me, but I've never had one opened either.

Jensen used to make incredible speakers. They were the bee's knees back in the 50s and 60s. I've had a Jensen cd player on our boat for probably 8 years now, works great.
              this is what i have in my 87 crown vic http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Pione...oductDetail.do

~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Hello everyone. sorry it's been a while for me to post pics. Anyways here they are

I like the way they the sound in my car. It's not loud on the outside, but sounds nice on the inside

Comment

hey i got the exact same deck.
                  The remote is the greatest thing ever when your having a nice relaxing cruise, i suggest everyone get a deck with one, just cruising around with the gf next to ya in the middle seat with your arm around her and you don't even have to move to adjust the volume cuz the remote in ur right hand,
                  Hey try this, I notice that the remote works the best when i point the remote at the roof or toward the rear glass, (honeslty you can point the remote strait up from the floor hump in the rear seats and it works better then pointing it at the deck from the front. ) i think it is because of my light colored roof the infared light bounces off it easy and the combination of how my deck is slightly pointed upwards.(91 dash)

Things i hate, because i like my music to sound nice and clear, is that when you make a cd with mp3's it can only play songs that are lower than 300 kbb/s or so, and recorded with like windows media player 8, even then not so good, the only way i could get it to play a decent amount of mp3's was when i recorded them straght to the cd with like nero or through windows explorer.

There are a couple things about the interface that are a tad annoyying,

Like the dimmer is completely pointless because you have to turn it on every time you drive at night, BUT IT ONLY DIMMS THE TEXT AND NOT ALL THE OTHER FANCY LIGHTS which only makes it HARDER TO READ - LIKE WHAT THE EFF KENWOOD?? AR YOU GUYS EFFING STUPIT?????

that blue light behind the volume wheel is fucking BLINDING at night time (I drive alot on dark country roads.) I am about to paint the lens black it's so. . . GAH

It's sounds really crisp though, even with my stock speakers. that was why i went for it, features wasn't the first thing i was looking for so even though it has it's problems i am pretty happy with it.

I made a sealed boxes attatched to a frame that holds the amp with 2 cerwin vega's 8" that go in the spot where the spare tire is, the whole box is tied down by the clamp that holds the spare tire. Here is the only picks i have of my set up. the only thing i would like to add is a cage or mesh screen for protection since i usually fill up my trunk with shit regularly.

Last edited by ÆJackacks; 09-22-2008, 05:38 PM.
                  Ont And Canada PPL The Cookhouse in Dwight

91 Grand Marq . . . . . . 88 ho wagon (project) . . . . . . 80' Lincoln Mark VI

Comment

I haven't got used to the remote yet. I still adjust the volume with the knob. LOL. The thing I don't like with the knob, is when you go to adjust the volume sometimes I'll mash it too hard and then I'll have to set the sound settings. I think they made that too sesitive. I was looking for a box like that for my 12's but couldn't find one. If I'll get another box car (which I probably will. LOL.) I'm gonna get a different box setup.

Comment

thats nice

Originally posted by ÆJackacks View Post
                      hey i got the exact same deck.
                      The remote is the greatest thing ever when your having a nice relaxing cruise, i suggest everyone get a deck with one, just cruising around with the gf next to ya in the middle seat with your arm around her and you don't even have to move to adjust the volume cuz the remote in ur right hand,
                      Hey try this, I notice that the remote works the best when i point the remote at the roof or toward the rear glass, (honeslty you can point the remote strait up from the floor hump in the rear seats and it works better then pointing it at the deck from the front. ) i think it is because of my light colored roof the infared light bounces off it easy and the combination of how my deck is slightly pointed upwards.(91 dash)

Things i hate, because i like my music to sound nice and clear, is that when you make a cd with mp3's it can only play songs that are lower than 300 kbb/s or so, and recorded with like windows media player 8, even then not so good, the only way i could get it to play a decent amount of mp3's was when i recorded them straght to the cd with like nero or through windows explorer.

There are a couple things about the interface that are a tad annoyying,

Like the dimmer is completely pointless because you have to turn it on every time you drive at night, BUT IT ONLY DIMMS THE TEXT AND NOT ALL THE OTHER FANCY LIGHTS which only makes it HARDER TO READ - LIKE WHAT THE EFF KENWOOD?? AR YOU GUYS EFFING STUPIT?????

that blue light behind the volume wheel is fucking BLINDING at night time (I drive alot on dark country roads.) I am about to paint the lens black it's so. . . GAH

It's sounds really crisp though, even with my stock speakers. that was why i went for it, features wasn't the first thing i was looking for so even though it has it's problems i am pretty happy with it.

I made a sealed boxes attatched to a frame that holds the amp with 2 cerwin vega's 8" that go in the spot where the spare tire is, the whole box is tied down by the clamp that holds the spare tire. Here is the only picks i have of my set up. the only thing i would like to add is a cage or mesh screen for protection since i usually fill up my trunk with shit regularly.

looks real good.
                      ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

thats nice too

Originally posted by 88_Marquis_302 View Post
                        Hello everyone. sorry it's been a while for me to post pics. Anyways here they are

I like the way they the sound in my car. It's not loud on the outside, but sounds nice on the inside
                        the deck looks hot box is nice this is what i got

1300 watt 4 ch jensen amp and 300watt jenson sub that i got for $8.10 at pepboys because it was three years old, and put it in a $60 mtx box and it runs off the head unit
                        ~David~

Comment

I bet that tiger gets a ride of his life. LOL. I like where you mounted the amp at

Comment

he sure does. the amp yea just a big old slab of wood in a L shape to support the amp. stiff as aboard, not me, but the amp rack dosn't knock or anything. The power caple just reached the battery.
                            ~David~

Comment

Originally posted by 88_Marquis_302 View Post
                              when you go to adjust the volume sometimes I'll mash it too hard and then I'll have to set the sound settings.
                              Yea using that knob is an ART of turning up the volume, i hate it when other people screw it up and end up fucking up all the sound settings LOL, i think that's the main reason why i started to use the remote haha

thank's 87gtVIC i built that when i had a busted knee and was off from building houses olol
                              Ont And Canada PPL The Cookhouse in Dwight

91 Grand Marq . . . . . . 88 ho wagon (project) . . . . . . 80' Lincoln Mark VI

Comment

Working...
                              X