To mod or not to mod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To mod or not to mod?

Ok so I have asked one or two of these questions before, I think, but I didn't really ask very well and/or get as much response as I wanted or whatever.
    What is my goal? I want to increase my performance a little without sacrificing MPG. I enjoy the 18/25 mpg I get...

1st, larger intake and throttle body spacer. How much bang for the buck? Worth it?

2nd, performance coils. I always see them advertised but I really wonder if they are worth the money. Anyone know??

3rd, Marauder intake/MAF/tune. Where can I get this, about how much does it cost overall. And is it worth it?

4th, j-mod. I don't like the way the stock trans. shifts. I know the kit is pretty inexpensive, but how much would an average transmission shop charge to do it? (I don't like working on automatic transmissions).
    1998 Mercury Grand Marquis 131k~ true duals, 2nd cat removed, H-pipe, Xcelerator Turbo mufflers, PI Manifold, 180* Tstat, K&N drop-in.
    1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

I have a complete Marauder air box assembly I can sell you, minus the MAF. I have a 80mm MAF from a Mark VIII I can sell you also, but it's tuned for 24# injectors (some guys manage to run them like that without a problem, but if you're planning a tune it wouldn't hurt anyway). I'll let you have the airbox and all associated parts (tube, silencer, etc) for $75 shipped and for another $25 I'll throw in the MAF.
    2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
    1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
    1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

As for the others... I don't see larger throttle body and/or spacer really helping you out much, if at all... not without other modifications to back it up.
      Performance coils won't really provide a noticeable difference unless you have a blower you're not telling us about.
      Your best bets are the Marauder airbox to help more air get through the stock throttle body, larger MAF, and a good exhaust set-up.
      2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.

Comment

Do some light mods but don't go over-board...
        '79 Continental Town Car
        '90 Crown Victoria LTD
        '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

I suspect you'd get more gains out of exhaust work than ignition coils or a larger throttle body. The upgraded airbox should help some though. Neither should cost you fuel economy.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Coils wont gain you much, exhaust work, maf/airbox/tune and underdrive pully set will help performance and mpg. I got around 27mpg highway after my mods. Reinhart automotive can do the tune but it is $$$$.
            Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

I forgot to mention I have dual 2 1/2" straight pipes with x-pipe....so exhaust is covered. Can a service garage do the tune? Or would it have to be performance shop or dealer?
              I was thinking about an underdrive also. Where can I find one?
              Freshmeat, I'll send you a message...
              1998 Mercury Grand Marquis 131k~ true duals, 2nd cat removed, H-pipe, Xcelerator Turbo mufflers, PI Manifold, 180* Tstat, K&N drop-in.
              1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

Mod the hell out of it, besides once you get started you cant stop anyway so may as well face it and go all out
                YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

You'd need to go to a performance shop for a tune, but wait until you have all your ducks in a row before you do so they don't have to keep modifying it for you every time you upgrade.

Comment

I hear ya.
                    How about the j-mod question? Anyone have input?
                    1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

Go for it. I did it on mine; pretty easily if you're halfway mechanically inclined, and it helps firm up the shifts pretty nicely.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                      1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                      But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

I am mechanically inclined...just don't like working on automatics.
                        1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

Have you ever installed a shift kit?

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Nope. Where can I find the instructions, I'll check them over. I'm sure I can do it, just don't really want to. lol.
                            Last edited by DriverSideImpact98; 08-28-2008, 03:57 PM.
                            1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

Warning: This is a link to the other site...*dramatic music plays*

http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/u...07#Post1152107

Comment

Working...
                              X