Newbie with my first post!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie with my first post!

Damn its nice to see others that enjoy the wonderful land yacht I am tired of hearing so many people ask me wich retirement home i stole it from.

To the point i just got rid of my 96 for a 98 and man does it feel like the ripped the torq right out of that bad boy with the body change i need some affordable get up and go any suggestion? I am going through speed withdrawl

Prolly was a gear change that you feel. Your old one might have had the 3.08 rear, and the new one prolly has the 2.70 rear. If you want torque back the cheapest easiest most effective upgrade is the rear end gear. Most people are doing the 3.55 or 3.73. Either way I think you'll be great, because the 4.6 makes more power in higher RPMs so you'll be able to utillize that gear without any problems or other mods. Also, everyone who has done it, I hear say they noticed an increase in mileage too.

Comment

2.73 became standard in 95, getting rid of the 3.08. So it's possible he had the same gears, but without more information it can't be said for sure. I can attest to the 3.73 swap. It certainly awoke my Vic.

The Marauder air box and MAF along with a chip is a good starting point. Underdrives are another good investment.
      -Michael

Comment

tex nailed it on the head.

the only downside of going with 3.73s is that you will also have to upgrade your driveshaft and tailshaft housing... unless you have a pi.

if you go with 3.55s you will not HAVE to upgrade, but you could, just to be safe.

either way you choose it is also recommended to get a trac-lok setup to get rid of the one wheel burnout.

2000 HPP Mods
        15.2 @ 89.13mph-1/4 mile
        9.73 @ 72.01mph-1/8 mile

Comment

Yeah the 96 was stock but it just seems like it had more get up and go. I forgot to throw in the fact that the 96 had daul 40 series flows, But i had 22inch rims on it and it would still move! Now the new body style like i said before has a significantly lower ammount of torq and hp? I just dont understand what changed? I might just say screw a new stereo and bolt on a supercharger!! low miles lotta space more power AHH AHH AHH :chainsaw:

Comment

Assuming both the 96 and 98 are the same model, the 98 has more hp and tq. A supercharger is great, but as of now no one makes a direct bolt on kit.
            -Michael

Comment

98 was the bodystyle change, but i dont know other than weight what would slow her down? I need more HP or else . . . the car gets it! :guns: . . . :bs:

Comment

The 98+ do weigh more and have a higher drag coefficient.
                -Michael

Comment

Originally posted by BigJon
                  the only downside of going with 3.73s is that you will also have to upgrade your driveshaft and tailshaft housing... unless you have a pi.
                  what is with everyone saying this??? i put a 3.73 in my GM and was runnin 26" tires and i ran that sum bitch up to 100mph or so and never had any trouble. i have the factory aluminum driveshaft. like ive said before, i really doubt that the muscle cars that came with 4.10s and such ran a super fancy driveshaft. but whatever you wanna believe, id rather spend $20 and make a driveshaft catch strap and not worry than spend $400.

grand_marquis_gt: "Wow dude, you got the GMGT sedan!"

there, now im cool too

Comment

We drive the old good ones man. You ever hear of the recall that Ford had on the PIs in the mid 90s. That's because the drive shaft would vibrate like hell at higher speeds. So they have a different shaft for PI and civilian. If you change the gear that much, when you are going 80mph then the shaft will spin like you are goin over 100mph or something like that.

Come on, didn't you know that? Everyone does. psht!

Comment

Our cars come with a steel driveshaft stock. P71's come with a lighter and shorter aluminum one. This is what many people (like myself) upgrade to when running lower gears.
                      -Michael

Comment

Originally posted by texasvic
                        Our cars come with a steel driveshaft stock. P71's come with a lighter and shorter aluminum one. This is what many people (like myself) upgrade to when running lower gears.
                        exactly! :slug:

2000 HPP Mods
                        15.2 @ 89.13mph-1/4 mile
                        9.73 @ 72.01mph-1/8 mile

Comment

Working...
                        X