Subs with Stock Premium Sound??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subs with Stock Premium Sound??

Is it possible? If so what would need to be done? And how would it sound?

look on the back of the HU and see if you have RCA out puts.

You will need RCA lines from the HU to your amp, and you are going to need a Remote turn on for your amp as well.

Comment

Originally posted by GilroyRacing View Post
      look on the back of the HU and see if you have RCA out puts.

You will need RCA lines from the HU to your amp, and you are going to need a Remote turn on for your amp as well.
      I don't think the stock ford premium sound head unit has RCA outputs in the back.

Comment

go to any audio store and pick up a high level to low level converter. not very expensive. i think even walmart carries them. that converter gets hooked up to the input terminals on your factory speakers and has a plug for RCA cables. hook that up to your amp for your subs and your in business
        What happened here?

Comment

Originally posted by crown vic muscle View Post
          go to any audio store and pick up a high level to low level converter. not very expensive. i think even walmart carries them. that converter gets hooked up to the input terminals on your factory speakers and has a plug for RCA cables. hook that up to your amp for your subs and your in business
          Ok, thanks mang. These converters, they hook up at the head unit, or at the speakers themselves?

Comment

they hook up to the speakers themselves. they will have two sets of wires coming out of them, so a total of 4 wires. take the two positive wires and hook them to one speaker and the two negative ones and hook them up on the other lead. you dont realy need to hook up the converter to both back speakers because the subs are mono. then just jook it up to your amp and your done!
            What happened here?

Comment

heres a link to a pic of one of the converters. i believe that walmart has them or you can get one on ebay cheap.

http://www.legacycaraudio.com/itempage.asp?model=LN60
              What happened here?

Comment

I have the door speakers too, will I have to hook these up to the door speakers as well?

Comment

just tap it off the rear speakers

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

what he said, just use one rear speaker.
                    What happened here?

Comment

Ok, so that's only one I need for the RCA jack? So then I need to get another amp and subs right?

Comment

yes, make sure your sub's wattage is rated above the amps, other wise you'll risk blowing it, my set up is a 400 watt amp with 2 700 watt subs, as an example, and as i told you I personally recommend getting a single, or 2 ported box's for the speakers, as i feel the sound quality is far better and clearer from a ported sub. If you go used, and dont want a really high quality system thats not ridiculously loud you can probably get a decent deal on the sub(s) and amp, like 100-200 for some ok used one, check out craigslist and research what they're selling. Good luck mang, Oh and you'll also need a power wire from your battery to the amp, and what are you going to do about auto powering the amp when you turn the radio on? I love the aftermarket head units as this is already wired up for you
                        -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

My brother put a ported box with two Rockford Fosgate Mtx 10's and a Coustic amp hooked up with a line level output off the rear deck in my old 92 Grand Am. I had a switch under the dash to kick the amp on & off. I'm sure there are more sophisticated ways to go about it but it worked fine for me. I think it's a good budget setup and the Ford Premium Sound isn't all that bad once you ditch the rotted paper speakers.
                          sigpic
                          1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
                          Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

I think I might run a switch for mine as well. I'm not gonna mess with any of this until I get some money, and have the car on the road, but this is what I plan to do when that happens.

Comment

if you haven't got an amp yet, my amp has the "hi inputs" aside from the RCA on them so you don't have to worry about sending in to much voltage. or buying converters or adapters, just get an amp with hi inputs and RCA(If you decide to get an upgraded deck too.)

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
                              what are you going to do about auto powering the amp when you turn the radio on? I love the aftermarket head units as this is already wired up for you
                              the remote line can be hooked up to the ignition to turn the amp on and off no?? i find myself turning the amp off if i am just sitting in it, the stock speakers produce enough bass when the engine isn't on.

I can also totaly understand the concept of keeping the original head unit, for keeping the car looking original and not having those fancy colours and shit is just stupid especialy when everything else is just green lol. imo

Originally posted by crown vic muscle View Post
                              what he said, just use one rear speaker.

If you tap it off of only one rear speaker you will miss out on half the sound if you listen to stereo music. like some bands put the bass line mostly one speaker and the vocals mostly in the other, every sound you hear from trumpets to cymbols have some sort of bass to the sound, you don't want to miss out.
                              Last edited by ÆJackacks; 09-22-2008, 05:58 PM.
                              Ont And Canada PPL The Cookhouse in Dwight

91 Grand Marq . . . . . . 88 ho wagon (project) . . . . . . 80' Lincoln Mark VI

Comment

Working...
                              X