Tranny Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tranny Problem

My car has been acting funny. From stop, it's very slow, and I mean slow! I've driven other Vics, with the same drive line with more pickup than this. I have reason to believe it's the transmission, since in first gear it shakes really bad. I can hear noise along with the shaking, it shifts fine, 1-2 is at 20 (once it starts moving), 2-3 is at 34, 3-4 is at like 45. The strange thing is though, is that it only happens in 1st gear, usually from a stop or when I am on the throttle and it shifts into 2nd, but when I apply the parking brake, and put on the gas a little bit, then take my foot off and release the parking brake, the car accelerates much more smoothly and faster. It still shakes, but not as severely. Are there any tests I can do to see if my tranny is dying?

is there any clunking noise you did say it was rebuilt one time right?

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
    302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
    k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Originally posted by gabegt90 View Post
      is there any clunking noise you did say it was rebuilt one time right?
      no no clunking, and no it was never rebuilt to my knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
        no no clunking, and no it was never rebuilt to my knowledge.
        Since we didn't get an accurate indication as to what kind of noise the car is making in 1st, I would recommend a vacuum gauge be ran on the engine, and see if it's pulling 20 inches or so....it sounds more like a huge vacuum leak than a tranny issue, unless the valve body is screwing up/hanging up, and causing binding with the forward/reverse drums or something...

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate View Post
          Since we didn't get an accurate indication as to what kind of noise the car is making in 1st, I would recommend a vacuum gauge be ran on the engine, and see if it's pulling 20 inches or so....it sounds more like a huge vacuum leak than a tranny issue, unless the valve body is screwing up/hanging up, and causing binding with the forward/reverse drums or something...
          I will do that, I'll let you know what I find, thanks Pirate.

Comment

Pulled Vacuum, at idle in park it pulls 20 inches of vacuum.

Comment

I may be wrong and I am most of the time, but that sounds more like a fuel issue. Like its not getting fuel until it gets moving.
              89 CV LX 225/60 x 16 tires, CC819 rear springs, Front & rear sway bar, trans & PS cooler from 90 cop car. KYB shocks, F-150 on rear. Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe. Dark brown door panels, carpet, steering wheel, trim parts from a 87 Mer GM. Power front buckets from 96 Jeep Cherokee. LED'S front & rear. 3G Alt from a 97 Taurus wagon 3.0. Electric fan. Rear axle from a 97 PI 3.27 with disk brakes. Headlight relays.

Comment

It's not a fuel problem, because the engine is running when it's in first, well I mean it's loud, so it's not like it's about to die or anything, so I don't think it has anything to do with fuel.

Comment

could you possibly have a brake dragging?
                  try driving a few miles and then walk around the car feeling each wheel to see if any of them are noticeably hotter than the others.

good luck, Bill
                  s265.photobucket.com/albums/ii208/brokebill/
                  "Ain't we gonna bury him ?"
                  "Buzzards gotta eat same as worms."
                  ----outlaw josey wales
                  (88 LTD Crown Vic LX-Ruby)

Comment

Working...
                  X