Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

valvebody

will a 88 mustang gt valvebody work in my 87 cv wag aod

It should, just make sure the valve body and trans is actually the same casting. There wer some changes in 1989 and I don't know that the valve bodies will interchange directly.

http://clickclickracing.com/forums/s...52&postcount=8
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

What's the motivation for swapping valvebodies?
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

thinking of putting in a shift kit and since i have a mustang valvebody i could do all mods
        in home and then just take old vb out

Comment

Ah, that makes perfect sense then. Be dashed handy if it interchanges!

Comment

It will bolt in with no problems. It really doesn't matter which valve body you use, as calibration isn't noticeably different. If I had to pick, I would instead use the valve body with less miles on it, because the AOD valve bodies do wear out.

Note, when you do this? Switch to Mercon V fluid.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate View Post
              Switch to Mercon V fluid.
              Like the stuff sold under the Mobil-1 brand?

Unrelated: Would there be anything to be gained by using modern synthetic fluids in an older transmission that calls for Type F?

BTW, Relik: You didn't mention what shift kit you want to use, but please don't waste your time with a B&M Shift Improver kit! I've scarcely heard them reported to do anything at all ... the one I installed myself once sure didn't do much.
              Last edited by 1987cp; 10-30-2008, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post

Unrelated: Would there be anything to be gained by using modern synthetic fluids in an older transmission that calls for Type F?

BTW, Relik: You didn't mention what shift kit you want to use, but please don't waste your time with a B&M Shift Improver kit! I've scarcely heard them reported to do anything at all ... the one I installed myself once sure didn't do much.
                There is an old trick that is putting Mercon/Dexron III into a Type F transmission, it provides firmer shifts
                http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post

As long as it says compatible with Mercon V you should be ok. I know Wally world sells their house brand of ATF by the gallon jugs and it's worked well for me for the past two years. And it's much cheaper (although probably somewhat inferior) to the Mobil 1 stuff.

The amsoil atf is more than likely the best stuff out there, but it's also 11 bucks a quart. If money's no object, that's the stuff I'd go for. I've heard nothing but good stuff about it--even in super-finicky Honda automatics, where it seems to perform better than the Honda OEM Z1.

Bottom line: You can probably get longer drain intervals and less friction out of the spendy stuff, but I have had zero complaints with the wal-mart house brand.
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                  91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                  93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                  Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                  Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                  95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Working...
                  X