I have decided to have Vicky's Transmission Rebuilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have decided to have Vicky's Transmission Rebuilt

Yep, that's right people, Vicky's transmission is basically dead. Luckily there are nearby tranny shops that have good reputations from people I know. So with this overhaul, what do you mangs recommend I have done? I was considering having the flywheel and starter replaced as preventative maintainence since sometimes the starter grinds at start up.

dont do it there.......take the car to brian!

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Servo upgrade is a start, wide ratio would be nice, I went with Kevlar bands but people have their own opinions on them, and of course a Transgo shift kit.
      sigpic
      1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
      Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

kevlar has poor friction properties. You're better off with the 2" overdrive band.

New rear main seal is a good idea.

And yeah, I'd probably suggest Brian. I've got two of his transmissions and have no complaints. One AOD and one 4L60e (the Chevy). Whenever the trans in the Mark VII eats it, he'll get that job too.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Brian.

Also get a supercoupe converter, works well with LOPOs too! And of course the shift kit, etc...
          1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
          Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by Grand_Marquis_GT View Post
            Brian.

Also get a supercoupe converter, works well with LOPOs too! And of course the shift kit, etc...
            I have yet to find a listing for a supercoupe torque converter for an AOD.
            find them all day long for an AODE, but NOT the AOD.

my sources list AOD converters in 2 flavors, low stall and high stall.
            low stall is for 351W trucks and police cars
            high stall is basically everything else, including Mustangs, T-birds, mark 7s, crown vics etc.
            2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
            89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
            88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
              Yep, that's right people, Vicky's transmission is basically dead. Luckily there are nearby tranny shops that have good reputations from people I know. So with this overhaul, what do you mangs recommend I have done? I was considering having the flywheel and starter replaced as preventative maintainence since sometimes the starter grinds at start up.
              I would add a B&M Holeshot non-locking 2400 RPM stall convertor (I'm burned out with the 2-3 shift lugging due to the stock locking convertors), and of course do 4R70W upgrades, such as the 4R70W planetaries, intermediate pressure plate (changes the intermediate clutch count from 3 to 4 discs, and firms up the 1-2 shift), 2" O/D band and reverse clutch drum, and the steel direct clutch shell and drum that allows 6 direct clutch discs....but skip the Kevlar. As stated previously, the basic 2" O/D band, coupled with an 'A' O/D servo ('B' would be fine, also), should be plenty strong for whatever you throw at it. Since the motor is pretty much basically stock, the flash stall speed of the B&M convertor won't be at 2400 rpm, but will help the car accelerate quicker, especially since you won't have a bog when shifting from 2nd to drive.

I would at least go with a TransGo SK shift kit, with everything set at 'Taxi/Police' along with an H.O. governor weight, or the HP kit with an H.O. governor weight.

Comment

What pirate said, except for the non-lockup converter. B&M torquemaster 2400 or 2000...

Also, if the car isn't HO powered, don't put an HO governor in it.
                Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

The 2-3 lug sucks, but I'm a fan of fuel economy, so I'll deal with it for the lower heat and lower drivetrain loss presented.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I thought you got considerably better deals on 2400-stall converters from Scott's connection on eBay?
                    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I dropped Vicky off at the transmission shop on Tuesday, I picked her up to day and I must say it's very responsive and the new starter and flywheel really helped! I think the old starter was really tired and drew too much power from the system. The teeth were kind of chewed up on it, I haven't looked at the flywheel yet though. Only cost me $995 for everything, that's a reconditioned torque converter, all the internals replaced, the removal and installation of the transmission. They didn't even charge to put the new starter and flywheel in, and what's good is this shop has rebuilt some AODs in the past, one that I have driven and the car drives really nice.

Comment

Working...
                      X