Engine running too COLD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine running too COLD?

Well, the check engine light came on in my 2001 P71 this morning. So I went to Autozone and had them put their handy dandy scan tool on the car and they said that the engine temp is out of spec. Too low.

WHAT!? I never herd of an engine running to cold. It had plenty of time to warm up on the 70+ mile drive home from work. I did notice that the heater was not as hot as it should be. The car runs just fine other than the light and the cool heater.

Any thoughts?
    1991 LTD P72 351 W Restored Century Police (Ongoing Project) Sergeant Vic.

It's a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.

Sounds like the thermostat is stuck open.
    Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
    Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

what GL said, the thermostat is prob stuck open, making it extreemly hard to reach operating temp, so you prob need a new t-stat

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
      1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
      1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
      2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
      2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

So then it's using more gas since it never warms up? Keeping the computer in Open Loop mode or something.

Comment

and wear and tear on the engine

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
          1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
          1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
          2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
          2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

That is what I was thinking but I wanted to put it to people here that have more knowlege than I. I will check the T-stat in the morning.

Comment

t-stat is a quick, cheap fix. if you touch the tube coming from the intake to the radiator and its hot to the touch, then the t-stat is stuck open.
              i agree with everyone else.
              and make sure you get a new gasket too!!!
              good luck.
              -ryan
              08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
              03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
              97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
              94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
              73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
              12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
              Originally posted by pantera77
              Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Running an engine that is not properly warm will consume much more fuel as the ECM will constantly be trying to get the engine warm and dumping more fuel in there to do so. Easy fix that will probably improve your gas mileage.
                Originally posted by gadget73
                There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

In case verification is needed.

I had this problem.
                  I replaced the T-stat.
                  Mileage went up a little.
                  Temp gauge moves faster and the heat is hotter...Sooner.

Comment

Replaced the T-stat today. I had a problem with the O-ring Ford used in these. I put the new one in and the T-stat houseing began leaking. I took it back apart and looked at the o-ring, and then looked at the old one. The old one was not craked, dry rotted or damaged in any way, but it was formed to the shape of the housing over time. I took a chance and put the old o-ring back in and it stoped leaking. I will keep an eye on it but I think it's fixed. Check engine light went out and the heater blows HOT again.

Comment

awesome! i had a hell of a time doing the t stat in my 91 5.0 bird. i think its a stupid design.
                      Lets Go Pens!

Comment

Working...
                      X