back in a panther, need some pointers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

back in a panther, need some pointers

its been a little over 2 years but im finally back in a panther! i just bought a 96 grand marquis gs from a buddies grandmother for $500. probably the deal of my life. it has just shy of 32,000 miles on it. it has the typical old person dings from backing into things, but all in all it is in great shape inside and out. this is my first 4.6 to play with. from what ive read its a bit of a dog of a motor. limited on the modifications unless you are willing to drop some serious coin into it. my 3 previous panthers were all boxes, so i dont know much about the newer cars. what should i look out for? what typically goes wrong with them? what are the typical modifications and upgrades? im anxious to start toying with my new ride......any input would be great!
    1996 Mercury Grand Marquis - duals, PI cams, PI intake, J-Mod, MZT, BOC tune, 3.55s, 18in wheels
    1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero - 5.0 HO T5 Fun Cruiser
    http://www.supermotors.net/users/tmm313

$500 for a car with under 32K is a STEAL!!!! Great find and welcome!
    What happened here?

Comment

Welcome back, I'm just about back in a panther myself. wish I could help ya. I don't know too much about them myself.

Comment

check out ADTR (Angry Duck Tofu Racing) for some performance stuff. enjoy your new car! im sure we would all like to see some pics of it too.
        What happened here?

Comment

and innovativeinterceptors.com good stuff
          welcome!
          08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
          03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
          97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
          94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
          73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
          12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
          Originally posted by pantera77
          Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

thanks for the links. ill be sure to put some pictures up when i get them. im hardly ever home when it is daylight out. ill post them when i get them.

is anyone familiar with an "elite series" grand marquis?
            1996 Mercury Grand Marquis - duals, PI cams, PI intake, J-Mod, MZT, BOC tune, 3.55s, 18in wheels

Comment

Tim! Welcome back, mang!
              1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
              Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

At the top of this section is the first "Mod" I think you should consider.

The second is the J-mod or Jerry's mod for the transmission. Given that you have a 1996 you will in addition to the spring choice you make you will also need an updated 1-2 accumulator piston. The larger holes in the seperator plate and the softer springs or removal there of will increase the likely hood of the outdated plastic piston you have of shattering or cracking.

Mercon V supersedes any other manual or shop recommended fluid. So use that in your 4R70W

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny...ybusiness.html <-Jmod info.

The second thing to look for,And this is for drivibility not modification is the intake manifold.

If this is what you see on there now

Then you will want to save up for this

Some people have made it up to and over 100k on the plastic crossover,But it sucks getting stranded.

My 97 had the updated intake but the hot in heater core line developed a leak at the brass nipple on the back of the intake.

And lastly, a Trak-loc. One wheel peel sucks.

Comment

welcome back tim
                  start out with gears and exhaust like you and i did on the 86.......the 4.6 panthers feel like a ho converted box to me......i had the j mod in a 95 thunderbird......get brian to do the j mod for u mang

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

i still have the 3.55 trac loc gears from the 86, im planning on puttting them in some rainy day at work. dual exhaust is definately in the plans too, just gotta ge tsome mufflers....prob flowmasters or the thrush i still have from the 86. if i switch intakes to the PI intake, are the plenums the same from npi to pi? also, do i need a tune for the intake swap? thanks for the input, ive got a lot to learn.. im excited to get some mods under the hood

tim

Comment

dual exhaust 3.55, j-mod, and intake would be a nice upgrade... You can go more into performance upgrades/mods but then the price becomes the issue. Anyways welcome back
                      LPP71 from CVN

Comment

Working...
                      X