Driveshaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driveshaft

what model cv/gms had aluminum driveshafts? and what years crossover. what years will fit my 96 gm?

thanks a lot

tim
    Last edited by 87gtVIC; 07-11-2010, 06:48 AM.
    1996 Mercury Grand Marquis - duals, PI cams, PI intake, J-Mod, MZT, BOC tune, 3.55s, 18in wheels
    1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero - 5.0 HO T5 Fun Cruiser
    http://www.supermotors.net/users/tmm313

Can you find a wrecked P71 to grab the DS from ?

Comment

im hoping to find something in the junkyard. are they the same from 92-present?
      1996 Mercury Grand Marquis - duals, PI cams, PI intake, J-Mod, MZT, BOC tune, 3.55s, 18in wheels
      1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero - 5.0 HO T5 Fun Cruiser
      http://www.supermotors.net/users/tmm313

Comment

1. Radio will fit with a adapter. Go get a 98+ harness from a junkyard and grab a ford harness kit from walmart.
        98+ PI, preferbly 00 with the MMX DS will work. Might wanna swap the tailshaft over as well to solve a few issues.

Comment

You will have to get a 95-97 CV/MGM/TC radio for use in their, unless you want to cut and splice, etc.
          LPP71 from CVN

Comment

Pre-made adapter harnesses are available on eBay to put a '98-'02 radio in your -'97
            Note it must be a 1.5 DIN with sloped case/single din back radio or it won't clear your defroster duct.

As far as '92+ are concerned - all CVPIs had an aluminum driveshaft. For late build '99s and '00 models an AMMC/MMX shaft was used.
            No retail CV/GMQ used an aluminum shaft of any sort. The '03-'04 Marauder used the PI driveshaft but with a dampener on the slip yoke for NVH.

You can use an aluminum d/s from a '95+ CVPI. But, you also need the extended tail shaft housing as used in CVPIs, Marauders and Town Cars.
            The aluminum shafts are shorter.

..32,000 miles? Wow, nice find!
            -My Homepage, Panther info & FAQs-
            My Mint 96' Mercury Grand Marquis LSE -
            Modifications
            Click My Merc for more Pics!

Comment

out of curiosity, I just grabbed an aluminum shaft at the yard today, but forgot to get the tail shaft, is there any particular year that the drive shafts are better or are all of the interceptor shafts the same? I'm putting this on a 99 mgm by the way and the ds came off a pi taxi 99 to 02 or 04 but it has "Police" printed on the side and thats all I know just making sure I have the right ds

Comment

When you say tail shaft do you mean the part that bolts to the differental, and has the rear universal joints?

I'm only asking because I was thinking of doing the same thing to the 99 MGM
                sigpic

Comment

No, the tailshaft is the back part of the transmission that the driveshaft slides into. It's held on by 4 bolts IIRC.

Jay
                  These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

you can also get the radio from a 97 Lincoln Mark Viii and it will plug right into the 96, same harness and has a CD player
                    1996 Grand Marquis White, 288,600 miles as of 4-3-09
                    4.6L cvpi engine and pcm, Dual Exhaust, Blue Leather Interior, Keyless Entry and Remote Start, DOT Strobes, LED Front Marker Lights, Running 93 Octain Fuel.

Comment

Working...
                    X