i want a better radio...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i want a better radio...

so i want to put a more modern am/fm/cd head unit in my car BUT i dont want some big neon glowing thing in the middle of my dash looking like something out of fast and the furious. something that could almost pass as stock or not look really out of place is what i want. i dont need a really loud top of the line system either. just something that i can put my music collection to better use with. i was also considering pulling the speakers out the back and replacing them with something in the stock locations, still hidden away. the stock ones have a stacticy crackle to them so i think its time for replacments

im also looking to get one of those wireharness adapters so i dont have to butcher the stock wires in the dash or the dash its self

any advice or recomendations would be greatly apperciated

thanks
    1989 Grand Marquis GS

if you wanted to come down here, i could set you pretty good. i can get gear for good prices, i do good work, and you wont be dissapointed.

you wont have much luck finding a headunit that isnt flashy. i just found one today finally that has a stock look, but its double din, so it wont fit in a panther.

a good radio to go with though, is the eclipse cd3100. i just installed lincolnmania's, helped gadget install his, and will be installing grand_marquis_gt's as we reinstall the interior in p79. i believe all three were had for something like 130 apiece on ebay. older model, but still new in teh box, and are a most awesome radio.

edit: "here" is tremont, pa

Comment

I liked Pioneer cd deck myself.
      1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - Current - June 2016 POTM Winner
      1996 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - SOLD
      1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - SOLD
      1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2dr - Long gone

Comment

typically i would normally say pioneer, kenwood, or clarion, but that eclipse i mentioned is a hell of a radio for the price, and having experienced it, its pretty easy to use, easy on the eyes (even supports dimmer feature!!) and expandable (has aux/ipod/cd changer input as well as being cd/mp3).

Comment

Dear Panthers,
          I've the same problem: I hate the Wulitzer look of the modern radios - including, alas, the eclipse. I've installed two old Blauplunkts in sucession - good sound but not so good reception.
          Donald McCaig

Comment

you need a new antenna donald........those power antennas not so good after 20 yrs......and i do believe new ones from ford are made of unobtanium

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Put it in the glovebox, and then it doesn't matter what it looks like. I have some SONY jammy in mine, and with the green face lighting it fits right in with my gauges, and even the factory dash lighting. But, its in the glovebox, so it really doesn't matter how it looks to me.
              **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
              **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
              **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
              **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                Put it in the glovebox, and then it doesn't matter what it looks like. I have some SONY jammy in mine, and with the green face lighting it fits right in with my gauges, and even the factory dash lighting. But, its in the glovebox, so it really doesn't matter how it looks to me.
                This reminds me, have I seen pics of that installation?
                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania View Post
                  you need a new antenna donald........those power antennas not so good after 20 yrs......and i do believe new ones from ford are made of unobtanium
                  amazing my Lincoln's original power antenna still works great and my GMQ's as well.
                  1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - Current - June 2016 POTM Winner
                  1996 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - SOLD
                  1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - SOLD
                  1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2dr - Long gone

Comment

Dear Panthers,
                    I've got a NOS power antenna. Reception poor. Since I mostly listen to itunes on the road, I can live with it. DOnald

Comment

the glove box is a long way away from who evers in the drivers seat though
                      1989 Grand Marquis GS

Comment

Pioneers always been my favorite, click on my cardomain link and you'll see my se up. Nice and simple.
                        I bought the wire harness for 10 bucks wired the harness to the radio, put the radio on the stock bracket that held the stock radio, plugged the radio into the stock plug. Just find ground and youre good to go.

4thPanther..03 MGM LS
                        previous panthers: 87 MGM, 85 CV 2 DOOR, 89 MGM.

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania View Post
                          They still had some power antennas in stock at the dealership by my house (mast and units). They're not made of unobtanium, they're made of unaffordium.

Comment

Want something that looks stock? Rob a complete system out of a late model Panther. The JBL stuff sounds good, has an optional CD changer, and doesn't look too out of place. The down side is the wiring harness you have to fish from dash to trunk after removing it in one piece from the donor car,no mp3 disc support, and if the head unit dies you're looking at probably 200+ bucks to have it rebuilt if you can't find another working one. I have the stock JBL in my Mark VII. It sounds good, and I have the $285 receipt from the previous owner having the single disc CD player refurbed. No way would I spend that much coin on it.

And I'm not sure I'd use Wurlitzer as an accurate name to describe the horrible bling that some aftermarket radios have. The jukes were at least stylish in their own way, and Wurlitzer radios were actually very plain looking things. http://www.antiqueradio.com/Jun02_Jukebox_Wurl.html
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

i was actually in pepboys today getting something else and they had a cheapo cd player on display that actually looked pretty simple and unnoticable. does anyone know where i could get the harness adapter and dash mounting kit online? maybe ebay or something a little cheaper then out of the store? and also how does the molding come off from around the radio and climate controll? i wanted to avoide cracking it

i like those boss 302 badges 89merk lol
                              1989 Grand Marquis GS

Comment

Working...
                              X