OD gone on my AOD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OD gone on my AOD

well i think my tranny has started to shit the bed. last night i was going on the highway and when the tranny shifted to 4th it had no power at all. it would go form 75 to 70 and keep dropping hten shift to 3rd and act all fine. it did it all night on the highway but felt fine in the other gears. i checked the fluid this morning and unless i was scraping hte side of hte fill-tube had a milky color to it but im using an external tranny cooler. i put fluid in it and some lucas stop slip yet it still did the same thing. then my car spit out smoke form the rear like my engine was puking oil but it was fine. then i thought maybe i cooked the tranny but if i left it in 3rd it was fine and my enigne felt no weaker when it all cooled down.

so yea i think 4th is gone but if i leave it in 3rd its fine.

the hting now is i need to find a tranny but i done have the funds for an AOD. yea i could try rebuilding one but ive heard they arent the easiest trannies to rebuild. i thought of gettin a C6 but yea i got no OD. i dotn know how they are to rebuild either. ive done TH350's at school but theyre considerd easy to rebuild and i dont know if a C6 is the same. also if i got one form like TCI i dont know what the govenore is set to or if id need to adjust it or whatever it may be.

any ideas?

Put it in 3 and keep driving. You lost an overdrive band. Make sure the TV bushing is still good and you should be fine with a 3 speed for a while.

Honestly I'd replace it with another AOD, but done at a local well known shop or from a reputable builder. If you have problems with a mail order trans, its hard to get support so stay away from bargain basement eBay trannys. There are a lot of halfass trans builders out there that will sell you a cheap trans that dies in a year. The AOD especially doesn't seem to hold up well to halfass rebuilds.

If you're up for a drive, I know a good guy in PA. If you're not, this guy builds a hell of a good trans from what I hear: http://www.silverfoxtrans.com/silver....com/Home.html I don't know what he charges for a full trans.

I'm actually considering picking up one of his valve bodies for my Mark VII so I can have the electric overdrive lockout option. His valve bodies are adjustable so you can set your WOT shift point by dropping the pan and turning an adjustmentr screw. This guy is one of the admins on clickclickracing and he posts on other forums I belong to. He drives a Mark VII, so you can tell the man has good taste
    Last edited by gadget73; 12-25-2008, 10:17 PM.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

theres a guy here htat does good work and he wanted 700 to rebuild it. unless i give him a spare tranny and save him the trouble of pulling it out and putting it back in after rebuilding the tranny. at htat point i want to put a mustang or trans-go govenor in it and add a 2400 stall converter. so yea it wont be cheap.

how long do you think i have till the other gears go? or is it too random?

Comment

5 speed. You know you want to.
        1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
        Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by import convert View Post
          theres a guy here htat does good work and he wanted 700 to rebuild it. unless i give him a spare tranny and save him the trouble of pulling it out and putting it back in after rebuilding the tranny. at htat point i want to put a mustang or trans-go govenor in it and add a 2400 stall converter. so yea it wont be cheap.

how long do you think i have till the other gears go? or is it too random?
          700? That's a good price. And that's with removal and installation and everything? I would suggest a trans cooler.

Comment

if i had hte money and the time to do it i would. ill barley have enough to ge a converter, govenor and the rebuild kit let alone pay someone to rebuild it.

Comment

you might also want to make sure you have a proper TV setup. Most of the time, overdrive dies because the pressure is too low. If you dont have the right geometry on the cable since you did the carb swap, it'll cook it. Provided the pressure is good, theres really no reason that the other three gears won't work for a while, though if the fluid is cooked or full of metal its going to self-destruct just from that.

Also, 700 installed sounds way cheap, possibly too cheap. A clutches and seals job would cost about that, but the results are usually not so great. Often with a high mileage trans, some of the hard parts need to be replaced in order to get the clearances right. If its not right, the trans will shift a bit odd but basically work. The problem is it won't last. AODs really need to be done right or they simply don't hold up. I would check around to see what sort of reputation the guy has specifically with the AOD.Just because someone does a good job with a TH350 doesn't mean they can do an AOD. Honestly I think bad rebuilds are a big part of why the AOD gets a bad rap for reliability.

I'd also suggest the wider 2" overdrive band from the aode. It will give you better overdrive power handling and durability. Upgrading the OD servo wouldn't be a bad idea either, but a stock B servo and the wider band will perform pretty well. Theres a big list of suggested upgrades for the AOD at clickclickracing. Some are really cheap, some not so much so. Upgrades are extra coin, but its cheaper than another trans job if the trans self-destructs from too much power or a poor quality rebuild.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I got my current free aod about 6 months ago with no OD. Ive since been beating the shit out it with no new issues. Works fine as a 3 speed and Its had about a gallon of water in it for 3 months. Save your money and drive it till it drops.
                1989 Grand Marquis LS
                flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

yea i figured most of htat. the guy comes into work and buys parts off me all the time and hes diagnosed stuff just by hearing the problem without even seeing the car in person so i know he at least knows what hes doing but yea doesnt mean he can do a good rebuild.

there was a month or so that i think i had hte pressure a little low but i raised it up and the tranny would go to 4th till i hit 70. i dont know if it cooked it cuase it may have tried to shift to 4th but couldnt? maybe i did cook it. i guess i should change out the fluid and ptu new stuff in it to try to stop any more damage.

the extra cost of everything leads me towards the C6 cause of hte lack of money but then i do liek the OD for highway driving. i dont do highway driving as much as i used to but still. eihter eay i think id try to get a spare tranny and try to get htat redone then just swap it in.

Comment

How's the fluid? Smell good? Look good?

Comment

Get a tow livery upgrade set up AOD..........
                      2000 Crown Vic LX HPP Red w/3:55 Rears
                      85 Crown Vic Stock w/HPP`s
                      07 JCL 250 A Scooter
                      79 to 91 Mercedes S Class W126 US or Euro Versions coming soon

Comment

If you're going to downgrade to a 3 speed, a C4 is an easier fit. I don't like them but they have a following.

Comment

i know a 3spd is a down grade. the tranny shop here siad a C4 would be a pain to fit. trying to get the linkage and stuff set up. i guess ill have to think about it but yea an AOD would be the best idea to go with.

the fluid was a milky color but i had an external cooler

Comment

C4 will pretty much bolt in.
                            1989 Grand Marquis LS
                            flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

C4 came on the 79 models. The C6 never came in a Panther. You'd probably have a much harder time working out the linkage and mounts for the C6.

Comment

Working...
                              X