Shift linkage bushing(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shift linkage bushing(s)

So yesterday evening I noticed what one of the problems is with the '87 P72's factory shift linkage. I has assumed it was just out of adjustment (and it probably is), but I noticed something interesting about the bushing that sits in the shift-linkage bracket that bolts to the side of the transmission case to locate one end of the bellcrank-type thingy; namely, that said bushing isn't there. I'm glad to see that this will be a very easy fix, except for the fact that I don't know what bushing to buy. I imagine this kit from the Help! section at my local AutoZone will fit the bill, but can anyone verify that?

I can grab pics of where it goes if anyone would find that helpful.
    Last edited by 1987cp; 01-03-2009, 11:27 AM.
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

I think that kit has one of the right ones. I bought one from the Ford dealer when I ruined mine when I did the trans swap. I think just that stupid bushing was about 5 bucks.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

OK, at least I may be on the right track. I somewhat prefer the idea of getting the correct Ford part in this instance, but with the price being comparable and the means of getting the correct part number obscure ......... :p

Comment

Get the AZ kit, then you got some more bushings for future projects. Worst case, you'll need two kits, and tis likely still gonna be cheaper than OEM Ford parts.

Comment

Shoot, I knew I forgot something when I was there today. I did successfully rent a stud-puller kit, but I failed to locate 1.25" body plugs, and this item done skipped my mind entirely!

Comment

Success! None of the provided bushings from the 14041 kit fit the bellcrank exactly, but the largest one went over it fine with a 3/8" drill bit, a little heat, and a little grease. Problem solved!

Now when I get around to actually adjusting the linkage, it won't have so much crazy slop in it!

Comment

Good info to know. Any pics?
              Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Didn't think to take any, but I can get one of it installed if you like.

Doesn't help, I suppose, that the link I posted no longer points to where it did ... dunno what's up with that ...

here's a pic of the contents of the kit, unless it changes before you view it.

Comment

Working...
                X