Newbie to this site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie to this site

Hey all, I'm new to the web board stuff, but I do know a bit about 5.0's.
    BTW, I have an 89 CV 5.0 LTD, ported GTheads.
    A little background, I have new daughter (7mos), Ive worked at dealerships
    since 1985, I sell parts. I have little time to work on my cars.

Questions..
    Do long tubes/x pipes bolt up easily ??
    Do 16s-17s (wheels) improve handling much ??
    I ve noticed mention of a "98 brake install" does this apply to box cars? or
    what is it?
    I get good insight from these web boards, THANKYOU for sahring your
    hard earned wisdom.
    Dino
    DinoW

Re: Newbie to this site

Welcome to GMN! Congrats on the daughter!

I dont know of anyone whos used longtubes...Eric (88grandmarq) has an X pipe, but i dont know if he's installed it yet.
    Damn skippy.
    I ve noticed mention of a "98 brake install" does this apply to box cars? or what is it?
    Yes. Scott (lincolnmania) will be able to tell you more about this, hes done it. You will need 16 or 17" wheels for this, however.

Sooner or later, people will chime in with some good answers to your questions...

GMGT
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Welcome to GMN! :rock:

http://members.sounddomain.com/sambos86
      My 1979 F-250 Ranger Hi Boy
      33/12.50 BFG Mud Terrians
      390ci with a little bigger cam
      Holly 4 barrel with K&N
      4 Speed with granny gear

Comment

hey welcome to the forum!
        to answer your questions, here goes
        1 long tube headers don't fit ........go with a set of mustang shortys.....any tube size you want
        2 yes i have 16" wheels with 225/60/16 h rated tires......awesome cornering.....ask anyone who has ridden in my car.......choices in factory rims are limited......i am running 16x7 mark 7 lsc wheels with 1" spacers......same goes for 94 and up mustang rims......you will need 1" spacers
        98-02 towncar, grand marquis and crown vic rims fit perfectly with no spacers, and it's rumored that explorer/mountanier/avaitor rims fit as well
        3 the 98-02 panther brake upgrade can be done to any 79-97 panther.....it does require 16" or larger wheels though
        what is it? ok i installed the front braking system from a 98 grand marquis, consisting of 12.5" rotors, sealed hub bearings, dual piston calipers and large brake pads........it involves swapping front spindles, lower ball joints, and upper control arms and ball joints
        any more questions feel free to pm me or instant message me
        again welcome to the board
        scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

thank you........

Thanks for the greetings
          AND
          the answers (i might check out the suv wheels).
          if you guys have any BMW questions or needs , i'll try to help.
          Over and out.
          Dino
          DinoW

Comment

Yeah, when were the first M3s made?
            1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
            Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

I'll have check it out , late eighties, (wasnt with bmw at that time)they were 4 cvlinders, pretty hot in their day, nothing special now for performance.

Dino
              DinoW

Comment

Welcome!
                Oxygen and Nitrous for everyone!

Al

Comment

Originally posted by DinoW View Post
                  Hey all, I'm new to the web board stuff, but I do know a bit about 5.0's.
                  BTW, I have an 89 CV 5.0 LTD, ported GTheads.
                  A little background, I have new daughter (7mos), Ive worked at dealerships
                  since 1985, I sell parts. I have little time to work on my cars.

Questions..
                  I ve noticed mention of a "98 brake install" does this apply to box cars? or
                  what is it?
                  I get good insight from these web boards, THANKYOU for sahring your
                  hard earned wisdom.
                  Dino

1.) Longtubes don't bolt up easily. But with enough bending and massaging, you can make them work. I run these: http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...-Header-Automa

Before modification, they hit the frame and the transmission bellhousing. They cleared all the other stuff- the steering shaft, the shift linkage and the dipsticks. These are probably the best fitting long tubes for a box. Just know that they WILL require work to make fit.

I don't have any experience with an X-pipe. I do know that exhaust systems in general don't bolt up easily to these cars. We're among the small minority of small block Ford hot rodders- most of them drive Fox Mustangs or F series trucks- neither of which are very similar dimensionally to our cars. We often just buy fox Mustang parts and make em' work. pantera77 had a great guide on exhaust: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...xhaust-Options

2.) On their own? Not really, unless you get HPP wheels- available on some '98+ cars. They're 16 inchers, but they're super super light. You can't go wrong with lower rotational mass AND wider tires. But if you can't find HPP wheels and/or you prefer indestrucitible steel wheels, fear not. You can pull 16 inchers off '98-'02 Crown Victoria cop cars. Regardless of which 16 inch wheel you run with, you'll be pleased to hear that they let you run 255 width tires- a HUGE improvement over stock 215s most of us have on our cars.

Heck, even 245s are a welcome improvement over stock. 17s raise the tire width cieling even higher (285? maybe more). But after a certain point, tire width starts to interfere with tire wear. IE: it becomes uneven. Which is bad. I'd just throw on whatever set 16s you find sexy, throw on sticky 255 width summer tires, and enjoy.

3.) Ah yes, the famous Big Brake Swap. Gonna be getting that done to my '89 next summer. It involves swapping your rear drum brakes for bigger disc brakes, and swapping your front disc brakes for bigger disc brakes. Firmer/more sporting suspension completes the package. Lincolnmania and gadget73 are the masterminds behind this handling improvement program- they'll hook you up.

4.) No problem! I'm hoping we'll eventually enjoy aftermarket support like the beloved Fox cars. Until then, we'll work with what we have....
                  Last edited by Hearsesrock427; 11-07-2014, 01:06 AM. Reason: Added some context
                  '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
                  '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
                  '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

Why would you bump a ten year old thread?
                    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Oh cock!

I didn't even realize that. I looked at DinoW's newer thread about the intake manifolds. I then I searched for all posts by him to see if he had any interesting pics/story/info on his '89. I guess I just assumed because the post date began with 2 and ended with a 4 that it must be 2014.

Yes, I am that feeble-minded sometimes.
                      Last edited by Hearsesrock427; 11-07-2014, 02:59 AM. Reason: Added some context
                      '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
                      '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
                      '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

Part # for the headers?...the link is dead/expired.........cheesesteak jim has lt's on his townie also..........
                        Rodney Tolleson, me at the track.....future drag box racer!

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                          Why would you bump a ten year old thread?
                          Better than starting a new one.

1990 Colony Park, with HO swap.

Previously:
                          1990 Lincoln Town Car Cartier.
                          88 CVLX
                          01 Marquis

Comment

Working...
                          X