1997 LTC Ex ed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1997 LTC Ex ed.

Friend has a Executive edition Town car.

What he says.

Slight bog on accel. He says it's like a misfire...I believe he his misUSING the term. He says its like the whole thing loses power and needs one second to catch up.

He is rip-roaring to do plugs and wires ! ( Aka throw parts at it)

He also tells me he has a no leak oil consumption condition.

*I plan on FIRST cleaning his MAF...Cuz no one ever does UGHA.

*I wanna check out hit TPS and IAC, Can anyone tell me how to "Meter" those properly.... I cant find my dealer CD.

*I also plan on checking his coolant out too...Where oh where did our friend engine oil go ??

*When coil packs GO...They just GO right...They dont lolly gag around to die...They work or they don't ...Is that true ?

*What about a crank position sensor...Please tell me about that.

Lastly...i have a compression tester coming next week, What should he read ?

In the mean time I have a spark plug thread compressed air nozzle. If I hear hiss in TB then he has a bad intake valve seal....Hiss in tail pipe then bad exhaust valve seal and ...UGHA...Bubbles in coolant...Bad head gasket... DO I have that correct ? Does the cylinder I am testing need to be TDC ? Will a pencil on the piston do the trick for finding that ?

Thanks guys for coming thru for US !

i have a crank position sensor (CPS) problem right now. the car randomly dies out within the first 5 minutes of operation. its hesitates, i floor it, wait about a second, and then im off!!
    i replaced the CPS and problem still exsists. However, the wiring was shit. There was a break in the insulation, and mega corrosion. I replaced everything from the sensor, to the main loom on the right side valve cover.

as for compression checks. it does not have to be at TDC. thats just for timing. correct if im dumb.

i recently had a massive oil leak solved by replacing the intake manifold gaskets. when i took the intake manifold off, you could see the swirl pattern of oil going down into the cylinders.
    i thought coolant in the oil was the blown head gasket.

if you have a current tester ( a clamp with a light type deal) you can put the clamp on each wire to see that something is going through. i have never had a coil pack go bad.

At work, how we troubleshoot engine problems that deal with indication:
    --if its an electrical problem, the reading can be erratic and non- consistent
    --if its mechanical, it's probably broken, and wont be erratic. the readings will gradually go down.
    i hope i can help. ill see if my homies on MM.NET have a resistance check for the MAF IAC.
    hope you solve this problem.
    -ryan
    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
    94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
    12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
    Originally posted by pantera77
    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Thank you for your reply.

Yes please lemme know what you find out on the IAC,TPS and MAF.

Comment

Check the coil packs also.......
        2000 Crown Vic LX HPP Red w/3:55 Rears
        85 Crown Vic Stock w/HPP`s
        07 JCL 250 A Scooter
        79 to 91 Mercedes S Class W126 US or Euro Versions coming soon

Comment

the guy is checking for that data tomorrow at work. so hopefully, i can get back to you asap.
          03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
          97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--

Comment

Thank you SVT.

Comment

Are you Commodore Crap ?

Comment

yes. this is what i found...

Sorry, I checked Alldata and my Ford Service Manuals(Wiring Diagrams & Engine Controls)

Both sources have no testing specifications nor procedures for testing. The best I can do for you is get pics. of the wiring diagrams if that would help.

sorry mang. has anything else worked?
                03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

I saw you on MM.net.....I got a Marauder coming out this spring summer so I wanted to read up on them.

Well the guy punked....Never called me or said Hello at work today.

Which is exactly what I expected.....He's a flake......Eh...whatever.

But I still wanna know about this situation tho, It may happen to me or another member and it's good to have answers.

Thank you for asking around.

Comment

clean out the egr tube

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Tube and valve ?

Comment

Got codes?

Either way, if the guys willing to throw parts, grab a set of new decent plugs, a new PCV valve, some trans fluid (TCC shutter anyone in the trans? Im assuming it needs to be serviced anyway), trans filter, oil, oil filter, check the plug wires, replace plug wires as needed, tear the EGR off for shits and giggles and clear out the hole on the TB, shoot some TB cleaner down the TB and clean that bitch out (ignore the sticker)(or take the damned thing off and throughly clean it outside of the car, use a rag if needed), clean the MAF, replace the diff fluid and add friction modifier if needed, clean the brakes and inspect them, replace the power steering fluid, replace the coolant and inspect for leaks around the intake manifold, and you should be good.

Comment

uh...yeah.

Comment

Jeeze, i was joking around.

Comment

Uh...yeah...

Comment

Working...
                              X