wiring to make my lows stay on when the highs are on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wiring to make my lows stay on when the highs are on

is there any wiring mod i can do to make it sp that when the high beams are turned on, the lows don't dim to nothing?
    Save a seal, club a liberal.

ooOOooo a new thread!

hhmmm Im sure it can be done... I would start by re-wiring the lights with relays like some folks around here have done, then have the high beam signal activate the relays for both sets of lights, and use a diode between the high and low beam relays so that the low beams wont make the high beams come on.... yeah that should work
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

This relay thing.

People should enlighten me, i wanna do it.
      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

ha, funny thing u ask that! on my 91 wagon the previous owner put a high beam lamp(2A)in place of the regular head light, so when u put the high beams on the headlight goes out!...its not a sugestion, jus letting u know! :snicker:

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

strange..but it would work, I think...

Id be worried bout frying a high beam, i dont think they got as much of a duty cycle...
          1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
          Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Relays are not hard at all. There are four terminals on the bottom of a relay (most have 5 but the middle one is not needed). One you wire directly to the battery with a fuse of course, 30 Amp should be good. One of the other terminals goes to a good ground contact. One wire you cut from your original harness.

With this you just find the positive power wire going to your headlights and put that into the input terminal. The last terminal goes back to the wire you just cut from the harness. This way when the lights are turned on, it makes the relay become active and pull the power directly from the battery instead of having to go through the switch which can go bad. That would be if you were doing two headlamps for either high or low beams. I like running one relay for 2 lights, so that would equal 3 relays. 1 for Low beams, 1 for High beams, and 1 for just the middle high beams. Right now I am only running 2 relays but that is because my middle high beams are unconnected to regular lights and only my flashers. Before trips to the junkyard, I had to get my relays off of Ebay because they were prewired. I bought a nice one that had a jumper on the bottom so I only had 6 wires coming out of it (instead of 8). There was one large power wire, one negative, and then 2 inputs and 2 outputs. It worked great for what I needed. Oh, and make sure when getting relays, you get ones that go up to 30 amps. I have seen some that only do 10. If you go to the junkyard, you can find relays all over the place. Radioshack sells them for about 7 each, if that were true I have over 200 dollars worth of relays in my garage! I collect them like used oil.

Other note: When my lows are on my regular high/low beams are low in brightness, but when I turn them to high the beams get very bright. Now I was reading in another thread that they don't want their high/low beams to dim when they turn on their high beams... is it supposed to be brighter normally and then when the highs are turned on, it is supposed to get dimmer to let the highs take over? If it is I have been driving in the dark for a while.
            *To a Circus Theme*
            I like chicken, lots a chicken.
            I like chicken, lots a chicken.
            Chick chicka chicken.
            Chick chicka chicken.
            Drudadrudadruda drumstick.

Now this is some sig abuse!
            *NOTE: Work is very boring*

Comment

i'll have to work on this this week,lol

maybe in a couple years i'll just get a proper hid kit. a box with hids would be badass
              Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

hmm

www.danielsternlighting.com

SuperFord Profile
                Support safe sigs

-sigs should not exceed 600 pixels wide
                -sigs should not consist of more that 25 lines (including pics) when viewed at 800x600
                -Multiple images exceeding 600 pixels wide should have a space between them to allow for wrapping
                -Total sig size should not exceed 60k
                Remember, only you can prevent sig abuse....

Comment

Working...
                X