Losing heat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Losing heat

Hey I have a 95 crown vic and recently the temp gauge would drop when it was just cruising down the road. I figured it was the thermostat so I put a new one in it but this has not fixed it. Im at a loss right now for what the problem is so any help would be appreciated, thanks.

What thermostat do you have in there and what temp does the needle drop to?
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

its a 195* and Im not really sure what it is dropping to the gauge is kind of stupid with no numbers

Comment

Well, is it still within the "normal" range? Or is it dropping all the way down all of a sudden, as if you had cut the power to the gauge?

Comment

Its dropping lower than its normal range but its not doing it like it lost power, you can just watch it slowly drop down when its in overdrive costing down the road

Comment

Also the fan thats run off of the engine seems to run all the time, maybe the clutch for it is messed up would that cause it to lose heat like that?

Comment

sounds more like the thermostat opening up and the fluid emptying the radiator exchanging places with engine fluid. in colder weather it happens and reason why people put cardboard and stuff over the radiator to keep it warmer while driving. i used to drive a car tha had a temp gauge and would watch it rise then drop when t-stat opened.
              Last edited by 87_crown_vic; 01-29-2009, 01:48 AM.
              Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Oh ok I put a new one in but it must not be working right

Comment

Do you live in Alaska or something that overcooling with a properly functioning thermostat is even a contingency?

Also, I had thought by '95 they all had electric cooling fans .....

Comment

No I live in Pennsylvania and it has both an electric fan and an engine driven fan

Comment

Once again i replaced the thermostat and it has gotten better because it will get to temp but I can watch the gauge and see when the thermostat opens and the temp will drop enough that the heater blows out only luke warm air

Comment

Working...
                      X