Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chrysler LHS stereo swap to a 1990 CrownVic

First timer saying Hello to all

I have a 1990 crown victoria that I just bought that is in need of a major stereo upgrade(stock stereo from Ford). I have a 1996 chrysler LHS that has a decent stereo package (stock Infinity stereo system) and I want to swap the stereos. I plan to get rid of the Chrysler due to engine and suspention trouble and thought I might swap stereos.

If any one can help, I need help finding:

connectors that will adapt to the 1996 chrysler Infinity deck

wiring diagrams and some friendly advice.

Ford stereo has:

2 front door speakers
    2 rear speakers
    1 amp (small)
    standard deck

Chrysler Infinity Stereo has

3 front tweeters
    2 front door speakers
    2 rear speakers
    1 standard Infinity Amp
    tape/CD/radio deck

The problem I got stuck with is the wiring in the dash board, I thought it was an easy pull but there is way more to it and too much unbolting and unscrewing to get the Chrysler wiring harnesess. I was hoping to look for a conversion connector that would fit the Stock wiring harness of the Crown Vic to the 1996 Chrysler Infinity stereo deck as well as the Amplifyer.

If any one can help I would greatly appreshieate(can't spell) it.
    1990 EFI Crown Vic Lx sigpic
    1964 Lincoln Continental (not running)
    1963 Lincoln Continental (running)
    1995 Honda Accord(Stolen)

if you feel you must install another factory radio, and god forbid one from a chrysler, the easiest thing to do will be to get a universal install kit for the ford, and to cut the wiring from the chrysler.

if you need, i can get the color schematics for the chrysler plugs, both on the amps and at the headunit, then you can splice/solder/crimp those to the aftermarket install kit.

that should eliminate any need for hacking the stock setup.

Comment

The thing I'd be worried about using the Chrysler stereo is that usually they have amps built onto each speaker. Nobody makes a pre-made adapter harness to connect your Chrysler radio to a Ford harness though. You're looking at all custom work to make that happen, and I'd be willing to bet that a fair amount of wiring will need to be added to make it work properly.

It might be easier to go fully aftermarket, or use a Ford factory premium sound setup so the wiring doesn't need much modification. Stuff out of a 90s Lincoln should drop in with minimal effort, and you can get a factory CD player or CD changer for that system.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

i dont think the head unit will even fit in the 1990 dash opening
        chrysler used din and a half radios

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I agree that a swap with chrysler patrs is laughable, but the sound system is pretty dam good compared to the idiot that installed a Sony Exploit deck before I got the car, pretty much damaged the speakers.

I would appreshiate the color schematics for the chrysler plugs, the amps and at the headunit that would be very helpful.

But I was thinking... what if i take out the Wiring for the stereo system from the Chrysler and install it into the Crown Vic. I know its going to be a shit load of wires but a fully custom stereo from a kid who doesn't know what the red or black wires represent ... it would be pretty dam impressive to make this project happen.

Thanks again for the advice and some in-put on the Idea
          1990 EFI Crown Vic Lx sigpic
          1964 Lincoln Continental (not running)
          1963 Lincoln Continental (running)
          1995 Honda Accord(Stolen)

Comment

i'll look up, and post, the wire schematics sometime tonight. as for transplanting the entire harness....i would heavily advise against it...as you would have to dissassemble pretty much the entire interior.

the route i described allows you to leave almost the entire ford harness intact. about the only thing that you might be required to do is cut the ends off the stock speaker wires to use the chrysler ones, plus you might have to run an additional wire or two due to the aforementioned built in amps.

Comment

it's gonna be easier to just make a complete new harness.

The infinity setups unless they differ from what I remember had individual amps on each speaker, which require power and audio.
              Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

yes, they'd need more than the 2 wires per speaker location that the Ford harness will provide for.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I would be most concerned with the impedence load going to each speaker, the ford only has 4 speakers whereas the chrysler has 7. if the impedence is off, it will sound weird.
                  What happened here?

Comment

if the speakers are self amplified...the impedance shouldnt be a problem, as the wires from the radio to the speakers are merely a signal. kinda like rca cables to your amps for your subs.

Comment

Originally posted by crown vic muscle View Post
                      I would be most concerned with the impedence load going to each speaker, the ford only has 4 speakers whereas the chrysler has 7. if the impedence is off, it will sound weird.

I might be wrong, but from what I read he wants to swap the whole system including the head unit. So, what you are worried about does not come into play at all.
                      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

if he is re-using the speakers and everything from the chrysler, then thats a lot more work than it is really worth. but if thats the rout he is going, then get a conversion kit and splice it together.
                        What happened here?

Comment

for ultimate sound, aftermarket head unit, speakers and amp. then you amp all the speakers. no chrysler radio will give you that sound quality.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                          1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                          1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                          2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                          2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

I have 2 pioneer HU taking up space here $50 a piece..
                            R.I.P Linsey Nelson

'04 M75-"Chocolate Rain" - mid 13 beast
                            Originally posted by MeanVic84
                            Chocolate Rain. Some stay dry and others feel the pain.

Comment

Working...
                            X