POS Traction?? 2000 grand marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

POS Traction?? 2000 grand marquis

Is there a way i can make my 2000 grand marquis into POS traction Without A new Rear End???

yes
    just install a traction lock carrier

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania View Post
      yes
      just install a traction lock carrier
      Where can i get that?? and how much?? and where do i install it at ?? and how hard is it to install it?

Comment

You can get one from Latemodel Restoration Supply (www.50resto.com), for a little over 200, brand new. Or, you can peruse the junkyards trying to find one in a Mustang, or quite possibly another Panther. You need a 28 spline unit for an 8.8, if your car is a 2000 GM...

It is a little bit involved to swap, and probably not something for an amateur to attempt. You have to swap out the open carrier in your third member, for the TL unit. Where are you located?
        **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
        **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
          You can get one from Latemodel Restoration Supply (www.50resto.com), for a little over 200, brand new. Or, you can peruse the junkyards trying to find one in a Mustang, or quite possibly another Panther. You need a 28 spline unit for an 8.8, if your car is a 2000 GM...

It is a little bit involved to swap, and probably not something for an amateur to attempt. You have to swap out the open carrier in your third member, for the TL unit. Where are you located?
          i am in central florida

Comment

Originally posted by 2000marquis View Post
            i am in central florida
            I was going to suggest you visit Scott, but he is in Pennsylvania... little bit of a ride.

You may be able find a local shop willing to do it for you, or you could try it yourself. Although it is possible to swap carriers and not have to 'adjust' the rear, thats not always the case. Sometimes you have to change the number and thickness of shims on either side of the carrier to bring the backlash between the ring and pinion gears to an acceptable level. In order to measure the backlash, you will need a dial indicator and a base. If you aren't doing a gear swap (now would be an ideal time), that is really the only special tool you will need. It would be a good idea to have extra shims though, and some gear marking compound to check that the gear mesh pattern is acceptable. You can find detailed articles about setting up rears all over the internet, and the 8.8 is a common rear.
            **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
            **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
            **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
            **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
              I was going to suggest you visit Scott, but he is in Pennsylvania... little bit of a ride.

You may be able find a local shop willing to do it for you, or you could try it yourself. Although it is possible to swap carriers and not have to 'adjust' the rear, thats not always the case. Sometimes you have to change the number and thickness of shims on either side of the carrier to bring the backlash between the ring and pinion gears to an acceptable level. In order to measure the backlash, you will need a dial indicator and a base. If you aren't doing a gear swap (now would be an ideal time), that is really the only special tool you will need. It would be a good idea to have extra shims though, and some gear marking compound to check that the gear mesh pattern is acceptable. You can find detailed articles about setting up rears all over the internet, and the 8.8 is a common rear.
              alrighty i will have to check into it thanks alot buddy

Comment

Go to local mustang high performance shop, say you want a trac lock carrier with carbon clutches.

Comment

Go to local mustang high performance shop, say you want a trac lock carrier with carbon clutches installed and ask for quotes.

Comment

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...0%201&comp=LRS would this be the correct carrier for a box? It's for a 28 spline.

Comment

Working...
                    X