MGM tranny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MGM tranny

I have a 2001 MGM that I bought new. I have a Liquivac pump that I am considering using to service the transmission. It was last serviced at 30k. It now has 95k on it. First question is have I waited too long? Scheduled maintenance guide does not mention anything about a filter. Some of the local repair places say they backflush the tranny and do not change the filter. Is ther an actual filter in this system that I need to worry about? How do I know if I have AX4S, 4F50N, 4R702, etc? Is this the tranny model number?
    Thanks. Any help is appreciated!

If your fluid is still nice and pink, then you are ok. I don't see mileage being a problem. And, yes there is a filter under the pan. It's probably a good thing to go ahead and change. You can get the filter and a new pan gasket as a set for around $15-$20. Those numbers do look like model numbers, but I'm not 100% positive. I don't know what transmission is in the newer cars, sorry.
    1998 Crown Victoria P71: Former National Institiute of Health vehicle
    1974 VW Beetle

Comment

Draining the fluid from your 4R70W transmission is very easy and you wont need the pump to do it.

You have a 2001 which means you have a drain plug in your Torque converter. Look at the bottom of the bell housing, See that large rubber plug ? Removal of that and Right Tight turning of the crank bolt ( 18 mm socket) will turn the crank and TC. You will eventually see a small bolt ( 7/16 socket) Removal of that bolt and dropping of the pan will drain 98% of your fluid.

Since you don't have a P71 CV I do not believe you have an external trans fluid cooler. So your trans fluid capacity will be less than mine which is 14 qts.

The Pan gasket is REUSABLE ! Unless its otherwise damaged.

I recommend getting a Motorcraft filter.

http://www.tascafordparts.com/

And if you have access to a Torque wrench the pan bolts are ...Crap I dont remember by heart. I will post that later.

IMHO-Considering how easy your trans is to work on, I believe the pump will be more hassle than its worth.

Also research the J-mod ( http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny...ybusiness.html ) if that looks like something you would like or can do NOW is the time as you will have the Valve body right there starin at you.

If you need more help with the J-mod lemme know I can walk you thru anything.

Comment

Oh yeah, BTW if you are lucky enough to see the TC drain plug after removing the rubber plug consider it a blessing.

If you see the bolt slightly to the passanger side of the plug-Don't use a screwdriver to pry it back to you. Its not a significantly tuff bolt and thread set-up. Save yourself the hassle and just rotate it til you can see it dead center.

Right tight of the Crank bolt refers to the bolt/thread direction. Ratchet and wrench with ratchet handle pointed to the ground-turn towards the passenger side. Or Clock-wise facing the car.

I dont mean to treat you like an Idiot, But that crank bolt is Torque to yield. Once its in and set...Thats it. Loosening or removal would lead to a suggessted replacement and re-torquing of the new one.

Comment

MGM Tranny

I dont mean to treat you like an Idiot

You may not mean to treat me like one, but now I think I am in that category LOL!

Now I gott research "J-mod" & "torque to yield" to see what I'm missing. I may take you up on the offer to "walk me througt it!" Thanks Rizzo.

Comment

As long as you do your stuff on a Sat or Sun. Saturdays are better as the wife works and I wont be ignoring her.

I have AT&T cell service.

Comment

Originally posted by AKA_Rizzo View Post
              Draining the fluid from your 4R70W transmission is very easy and you wont need the pump to do it.

You have a 2001 which means you have a drain plug in your Torque converter. Look at the bottom of the bell housing, See that large rubber plug ? Removal of that and Right Tight turning of the crank bolt ( 18 mm socket) will turn the crank and TC. You will eventually see a small bolt ( 7/16 socket) Removal of that bolt and dropping of the pan will drain 98% of your fluid.

Since you don't have a P71 CV I do not believe you have an external trans fluid cooler. So your trans fluid capacity will be less than mine which is 14 qts.

The Pan gasket is REUSABLE ! Unless its otherwise damaged.

I recommend getting a Motorcraft filter...
              x2

Never toss the pan gasket for the junk they give you, Motocraft is best, othewise, I've had good luck with Wix or Autozone brand, non interceptors that don't have coolers are easier, but unless your draning the TC, and purging the whole system, in my experience 6-8 quarts is all it takes, make sure its Mercon V though, its pricey but thats what it needs.
              LPP71 from CVN

Comment

Working...
              X