single to dual how to.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

single to dual how to.

heres a copy/paste of my thread on cvn about the single to dual conversion. for those over here that wanted a look:

hey peoples, just wanted to show off my weekend exhaust project and maybe help some of the noobs who may need this info, sorry if it has been posted already, i didn't check. i decided to go this route since the local shops wanted around 500 bux for a custom built cat back exhaust system. i did this with less than 200 bux.

anyways, i got the pipes off of an 07 police interceptor. from cats and h-pipe to tips in 1 piece, hangers included, the yard wanted 100 for the pipe and gave me the cats free. the donor car was near new, a-1 grade parts, 11000 miles on the odo. anyways fit perfectly, if you wanna go cheap duals this is the best route.

all you need to do is cut the old single tailpipe off of the muffler on your car, unbolt the front four bolts holding the y-pipe and unhook the rubber hanger on the side of your old muffler and remove your old tailpipe and then everything else bolts right back up.

you will need to cut the tail pipes off of the new mufflers with a pipe cutter otherwise you would need to remove the rear axle to put the exhaust on in one piece. too much work involved with that so i cut them. i did it all by myself with just ramps and a floor jack in my driveway. i put a little more money into it by replacing the stock muffs with thrush glasspacks and two stainless 3 inch slanted resonator tips.

it is a little tricky to get the tailpipes in to where they should be since the axle is right there but with a little patience and some ingenuity it is possible, you may have to lift up on the car body with a floor jack to get more clearance from the suspension although i only needed to do this on the passenger side to r&r the old tailpipe. for some reason the original tailpipe did not want to line up for me so i took it out and used the p71 passenger side tailpipe.

parts list is as follows,

07 p71 cat back: $100 junk yard.
    two thrush 27" overall length 2 1/4" in and out glasspacks: $40 advance auto.
    four 2 1/8" clamps: $12 advance auto
    oreillys rent a tool exhaust pipe cutter: $42 deposit, you get this back as long as you don't break it.
    total price $152

if you stay stock the only things you will need will be two 2 1/4" to 2 1/4" splices, which are about 6 bux for both of them. and four of the 2 1/8" muffler clamps.

tips are optional, the tips i got were pilot motorsports stainless steel slant tips i bought from wally world. i had to cut off about 3" off of the stock turndowns to get them to fit the way i wanted them so they wouldn't look ricey.

two pilot round slant resonated stainless tips: $24 wally world
    two more 2 1/8" clamps: $6 advance auto
    two 2 1/4" ID to 2 1/2" ID reducers to help the tips fit better on the puny azzed tailpipes: $6 advance auto.

so the total for my setup is around $188. still well below the $500 bones the local muffler shop wanted. and it only took a few hours and 2 beers to do it. sounds about like what a mustang gt sounds like and the seat o' the pants meter definitely approves. i like it and for all the money i saved i'm very happy with it. sorry i didn't get any pics while i was doing it but it was late at night and i was doing this in my driveway, hehe. anyways heres some pics and a vid.

day after:

okay here are some undercar pics the night after, set the tips in further and added some hangers.

heres a few shots of the hangers i added tonight just to get the exhaust to ride just a wee bit higher since i have a steep driveway, it used to scrape some with the old single exhaust but as you can tell for some reason the driver side half of the h-pipe is almost a half inch lower than the passenger side as shown in the pics above by the new scrapes all along the bottom of the pipe. it was scraping even worse than it used to, so i needed a lil more ground clearance. now it scrapes just a lil.

hehe, of course it may be worded a little weird since i was answering some q's and getting criticized, lol. anyways hope this helps out a few peeps.
    sigpic2004 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    07 P71 dual exhaust h pipe cat back with 24" glass packs Pioneer DEH-P6000UB HU Infinity 2 way 6x8's, Oz Audio 5x7 2 ways, Fultron Tweets, Infinity 1211a and Alpine type R 12"
    1999 vw bug work beater

Nice work man.

Comment

thank you!
      07 P71 dual exhaust h pipe cat back with 24" glass packs Pioneer DEH-P6000UB HU Infinity 2 way 6x8's, Oz Audio 5x7 2 ways, Fultron Tweets, Infinity 1211a and Alpine type R 12"
      1999 vw bug work beater

Comment

nice work!
        got any sound clips?
        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
        sigpic
        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Nice. Clean underside too. I guess the dry air is the reason for no lawn lol.
          Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Nice work w/the Marauder tails...........
            2000 Crown Vic LX HPP Red w/3:55 Rears
            85 Crown Vic Stock w/HPP`s
            07 JCL 250 A Scooter
            79 to 91 Mercedes S Class W126 US or Euro Versions coming soon

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
              nice work!
              got any sound clips?
              ask and ye shall receive.
              Originally posted by p71towny View Post
              Nice. Clean underside too. I guess the dry air is the reason for no lawn lol.
              lol, i'm not a lawn guy, so it is really dead, won't come back for a few more months, but that part where the car is is basically my driveway.
              Originally posted by cable-guys-p70-hpp View Post
              Nice work w/the Marauder tails...........
              thank you sir, they really are some ricer tails that the local wally world had for 12 bux apiece but thank you for the compliment.
              1999 vw bug work beater

Comment

not bad!
                Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                sigpic
                85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Working...
                X