Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is It Normal To Have To Add Oil To a 4.6 Between Changes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is It Normal To Have To Add Oil To a 4.6 Between Changes.

Is that normal?My 99 Grand Marquis with 103k has to have a quart added at around 1500 to 2k.Then usally change around 3k or so.
    My dad has a 05 Crown Vick and his is doing the same if not worse with 10k.Don't forget the heat down here is brutal.But makes no differnce even if the car is in a cooler climate it does still the same thing.Both cars are using 5w20 semi/syn Motorcraft&sometimes Castrol.

Just woudering.
    99 Grand Marqius/HPP/103k
    05 Crown Vic/LX/10K/Dads

NO it is definitely not normal at all. My '00 uses no oil between changes. There's definitely a problem of some kind there.
    2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2336322

Friends don't let friends drive donk.

Comment

Take it to a shop man!! And DO NOT let the oil run low!!

Comment

Wow, thats pretty bad.

My 237K mile only uses around 1/2 quart between changes (due to V/C leaks that im too lazy to fix ) but doesnt burn a DROP.

I'm convinced that the 4.6 is just not for me.

Some love it, some hate it. Pushrod motors for life mang!
        1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
        Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

:stupid:

the money you would spend to eke a little more performance out of a 4.6, would do magic on a 5.0/5.8
          Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

do remember the 05 vic has a 6 quart oil pan... that may be the issue?

your 99??? definitely not normal. my 00 no oil 'leakage' at all.

2000 HPP Mods
            15.2 @ 89.13mph-1/4 mile
            9.73 @ 72.01mph-1/8 mile

Comment

Yeah the 6 quart pan could very well be the problem.I didn't even think about that.
              As far as the '99 goes it's been doing that since i bought it new in '99 so don't think there is much i can do about now.The oil has been changed regualy every 3k or before.Never abused and always babied.I never ever let it run low as i check on it often enough.I'll mention it though next time it is in for service
              I always thought all fords used a little oil in their engines.
              I used to have to add a quart in my '88 Town Car with the 5.0 between changes so didn't think much about till now.I still got 200k out of it without any major issus.The oil was changed in that every 3k or before.

Thank you everybody
              05 Crown Vic/LX/10K/Dads

Comment

Mine uses none at all. Knock on wood. At 125k, I just use mobile 1 10-30. Anges 95 GM starts to use a quart or more at around 2k when her oil is thinning out and ready for a change. She has 175k
                Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

losing oil like that is definitely a problem... on both cars. its not normal at all. i have a friend with a 96 marquis with 300k and every time he checks it hasnt lost any oil.

Comment

Those engines have a habit of wearing out valve seals and the oil filter adapter gaskets leaking. I'll bet your older one has one or both of those problems. The new one shouldn't have that problem at all tho.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

i thought with the 96my they fixed the problem with the valve seals
                      Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

Maybe. I don't know that much about them. I know the heads changed sometime in the mid 90s, so you're probably right.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Those issues were fixed for the 96 MY. There's no known issues like that for the newer ones.

Comment

Re: Is It Normal To Have To Add Oil To a 4.6 Between Changes

Originally posted by MIAMI-DADE
                            Is that normal?My 99 Grand Marquis with 103k has to have a quart added at around 1500 to 2k.Then usally change around 3k or so.
                            My dad has a 05 Crown Vick and his is doing the same if not worse with 10k.Don't forget the heat down here is brutal.But makes no differnce even if the car is in a cooler climate it does still the same thing.Both cars are using 5w20 semi/syn Motorcraft&sometimes Castrol.

Just woudering.
                            I had a '00 GM HPP that did the same. It would "use" two quarts of oil between changes, added one at 1500 and would be a quart low when I changed it.

No leaks, attested by the clean garage floor. No smoking either. She just had a taste for it. I put a lot of highway miles on that one. I didn't worry about it, just kept checking the oil at every fill up and added the quart at 1500 miles like clockwork.

I've only had two cars that used oil and they were both Fords.
                            Supercharged '03 Mercury Marauder - SOLD

Comment

Yeah HwyCruiser think we are in the same boat here.

My 88 Town Car was similiar.Ran it that way for 200k.Than sold it to some lady who ran at another 3 years that i knew about.

My friends 98 Marquis doesn't use any even on the 5w20 semi/syn and he does all local and no highy driving.

No worry i just check it around 1500k and take it from there.

Thanks you everybody.
                              05 Crown Vic/LX/10K/Dads

Comment

Working...
                              X