Dual Extaust Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual Extaust Question

I have a 2001 MGM LS and I'm looking into putting dual on.
    What is the difference between With Resonator and without

Please Help
    Just dont understand

2001 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
    Ram AIR,NGK V-Power Plugs, K&N, 3.73 posi, sct tuner, J-Mod, 75 mm Throttle Body & Plenium, 80 mm maf, Mercury Marauder Airbox, Homemade air tube, BBK Shorty's, X-pipe, High Flow cats, 2.5 inch exhaust, dynotune by HUTTER PERFORMANCE 236RWHP / 277TQ

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY AND IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER, TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT, SHOUTING “HOLY SHIT....WHAT A RIDE!"

The Resonator just reduces sound somewhat. It's between the rear axle and the tail pipe.

Comment

It makes it go from quiet to deathly quiet. The stock mufflers pass so little sound that its really hard to imagine needing even more muffling. If you have aftermarket mufflers and decide they're too loud, the resonators will cut the sound a bit. About all they are is short glasspacks that act as a second muffler.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah listen to a P71 cop car...They come without them.

Comment

Yea, that basically covers it.

P71's don't have resonators, civilian models do.

When you put upgrade mufflers on, if you just want a little more tone keep the resonators. If you want more growl (more muscley) on top of it, get rid of the resonators.
          1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
          1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
          1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Comment

I like my tone with em on.
            Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

The w/ resonator tail pipe assemblies are also considerably more expensive.

CVPI and fleet models, '95+, don't use them. HPPs / Sports / Towing / Town Car (w/ duals) do, however.

Single exhaust cars have no resonator. You can retain your OEM RH exhaust, and only upgrade to the H-pipe and w/o resonator LH muffler & tailpipe assembly to save cost. The OEM system is t409 stainless and will last a LONG time, and of course is a factory fit. The RH muffler & tailpipe is the same for single exhaust as the CVPI dual system.
              This only works when using factory components, aftermarket pipes won't line up the same (Might get away with an a/m Hpipe, though)

You also need the LH muffler and LH(/RH) tailpipe hanger.

More info p71interceptor.com/dualexhaust
              -My Homepage, Panther info & FAQs-
              My Mint 96' Mercury Grand Marquis LSE -
              Modifications
              Click My Merc for more Pics!

Comment

The w/ resonator tail pipe assemblies are also considerably more expensive.

CVPI and fleet models, '95+, don't use them. HPPs / Sports / Towing / Town Car (w/ duals) do, however.

Single exhaust cars have no resonator. You can retain your OEM RH exhaust, and only upgrade to the H-pipe and w/o resonator LH muffler & tailpipe assembly to save cost. The OEM system is t409 stainless and will last a LONG time, and of course is a factory fit. The RH muffler & tailpipe is the same for single exhaust as the CVPI dual system.
                This only works when using factory components, aftermarket pipes won't line up the same (Might get away with an a/m Hpipe, though)

You also need the LH muffler and LH(/RH) tailpipe hanger.

More info p71interceptor.com/dualexhaust
                -My Homepage, Panther info & FAQs-
                My Mint 96' Mercury Grand Marquis LSE -
                Modifications
                Click My Merc for more Pics!

Comment

Cuz of the problems on CVN we got used to posting twice...The first doenst always work

Comment

Or do what I am going to do and have a 2.25 cat back system built with no resonators
                    R.I.P Linsey Nelson

'04 M75-"Chocolate Rain" - mid 13 beast
                    Originally posted by MeanVic84
                    Chocolate Rain. Some stay dry and others feel the pain.

Comment

I'd go no resonator, it'll give it a little more tone but by no means will it be the end of your exhaust throwing on duals off an interceptor, I just ripped the h pipe, mufflers and tails off one today for 30 bucks at the junk yard and hope to get them on tomorrow (don't forget to grab the hangers since they are conveniently bolt on) but eventually I plan to replace the stock mufflers with magnaflows. Hands down though if you want duals the yard is definately the cheapest! And lets face it unless you're pushing A LOT of horse power the extra pipe size isn't gonna make too much of a difference outside of sound and even that has a lot to do with the mufflers you go with and if you want a deeper tone throw an afe cold air or the K&N cold air on it that'll help too

Comment

Speaking strictly from my own experience, sometimes, V8's with duals have a sort of drone or resonance that happens in a certain RPM range -- most of the time on a 5.0 it's just below 2,000 rpm. It sort of sounds like if the Jolly Green Giant was blowing across the top of a huge beer bottle. The loudness of the drone depends on how loud your mufflers are. It seems to be accentuated if your exhaust has an H-pipe. My '86 Mustang GT had it bad and my '89 MGM w/ duals has it too. I believe the resonators are supposed to absorb most of this resonant drone.
                        Last edited by TomO; 02-26-2009, 07:45 PM.

Comment

My HPP has them but when it paid off I`m plan on doing flowmasters & new tails maybe an H pipe too..........
                          2000 Crown Vic LX HPP Red w/3:55 Rears
                          85 Crown Vic Stock w/HPP`s
                          07 JCL 250 A Scooter
                          79 to 91 Mercedes S Class W126 US or Euro Versions coming soon

Comment

On my Box I getting the Trush Turbos w/ CV tails & Mark VII H pipe & extendsions & cats going on there too w/headers.........
                            Last edited by Cable Guys FGMQ; 02-26-2009, 09:53 PM.
                            2000 Crown Vic LX HPP Red w/3:55 Rears
                            85 Crown Vic Stock w/HPP`s
                            07 JCL 250 A Scooter
                            79 to 91 Mercedes S Class W126 US or Euro Versions coming soon

Comment

Working...
                            X