Cold Start Throttle "Sticks?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cold Start Throttle "Sticks?"

Last 2 days mornings have been very cold. Went from 85 to 50 over night here. As a consequence these last two mornings when i start the merc the throttle gets "stuck". The enginge revs to about 2K RPMS and sits there running for like 5-10 mins and I can't kick it down.

After the car has sufficiently warmed up a tap on the gas pedal will kick it down though. But if you try and kick it down before it's ready (which seems random) the idle increases and sticks. The first day it got stuck at 3K rpms before we could kick it down...something aint right here.

Sounds like the choke is bad, or that high idle stepper thing is stuck, or what>????

Is it bad for the care to run this fast for that long in the morning?

seriously though i need to remedy this before it blows up!!
    i\'m back bitches!

I think its the black box on the side of the throttle body...

id remove it till you get a new one.

that way, cold idle will be REAL sluggish, but it wont rev high at idle...

just keep ur foot on it
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

tom you mean the choke thermostat? has one HOT wire going into it? could I then just unplug the wire? It is relatively new part.

could i have messed up the orientation of the stepper plate thing that connects to it?
      i\'m back bitches!

Comment

Potentially...

Ok try disconnecting the wire. It MIGHT work.

Comment

50*? Around here a cold day is 32*! I would wish it to stay 50 degrees in the morning!

Yeah, it's not good for it to rev that high when you first start it up. The first ten minutes after you have started the car, are the time when the engine is most suseptible to wear.

My mom knew this guy one time. Every time he would start his truck in the mourning, he would rev it up a lot, and his dad told him not to do it, but he did it anyway. So, to make a long story short, one day he revved it one time to many, and it threw about three rods through the block. Story has it, that it blew so hard, it shot some of the push rods through the hood.
          Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
          Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

either your cold idle choke it set to high of the vacuum operated choke pulloff isnt working... the wire going to the thermo-coil thing actually heats it up and tell it to un-do the choke I think, so unpluggin that wouldnt help. You can adjust the cold idle - look at that end of the rod that the throttle butterflys are on and you shoudl see a screw, crank that back and see if it helps!

in this pic, the screw is right behind the wire loom

Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

actually, pete is right.

I forgot, when my choke was toasted, it would high idle ALL the time...

Comment

Working...
              X