after market stereo rewiring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

after market stereo rewiring?

how many peeps here wanted to install a new CD deck but, have had to rewired their box panther cause of the primium sound system? just wondering since ive done a few and figured out some tricks. also, can someone tell me what boxs came with the black boxed amp? i know of them being in 88-91+ cars.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

I just ran new speaker wire cause i did not want to reuse the old crap. I actually ran two sets of wires to each speaker cz the first time i ran wire was for a simple system with no aftermarket amplifier, but then i got bold and bought a amplifier and ran nice thick wires to all of the speakers to the amp.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

i just did my 88 wagon. will a little switching of wires and a modded scotche 94+ primium sound harness, i have all 6 speakers goin and for stock they are pretty good, cant wait to hear the new pioneer speakers. for my loder boxes, i mostly run new wire as well but, i like keeping the stock amp. im thinking maybe i should do a tech thinghy since, the 88-89 primium sound systems are weird but, sound great if you know how to modd it. then throw a couple subs with amp, you have a great combo without buying an aftermarket amp for the speakers.

Comment

That would be cool to write up,because i didn't even consider using the stock amp, i just totally deleted mines.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I think the black box is 88+ but only on some cars. I know my 86 had the silver football amp thats useless, Tom's 87 also has it. Scott's 89 Vic has the football, so does Donald's 89 wagon. Towncars with the JBL system use something like the black box, but its a unique amp that I don't think directly plugs in. The cars with the football amp usually need re-wiring because it has a common ground for the front, and a common for the back, for a total of 3 to the front and 3 to the back instead of 4 like newer radios need.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah, I ditched my premium in both cars cause of it. I really didn't want to get rid of it in either cars but needed to because they wouldn't interface properly. I almost got the premium in the vic to work but you had to disconnect the ground then ground it again to switch it on/off. scott has all my shit now lol.
            Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

the black box amp is what you want. if your panther has one, then its easy to hook up with the scotche harness. what i did was buy a 94+ premium sound harness(witch has multiple connectors) and use the black square one for the speakers and the grey flat power connector. the car supplies 4 connections 3 grey connectors and the square speaker connection from the amp(only use the speaker and power connecters since 2 grey ones are already connected to each other) the red gound wire hooked up to the stock radio, i grounded out to the dash. now, in order for the new radio power connector to work with the vehicles, you just need to take the connector apart and just switch the ground wire to the matching grond slot. the system sounds gret with my pioneer deck and having all 6 speakers working is nice too.

Comment

I dunno which amp the '90 has, but I just used a scosche adapter, and plugged it right in. there were a few plugs on the harness that weren't used in my application, so I removed them from the adapter harness so it would be easier to stuff it behind the stereo.

Everything works so far.
                People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. ~ George Orwell

1990 Crown Vic, 2006 Ford Fusion, 2003 Ranger

Comment

the 90+ permium sound cars use the same connectors that you used since it has the same amp. iv never had a problem with the 1990+ panthers, just the 79-89 panthers lol

Comment

when i got my towny in 98 i burned up 3 head units trying to use the premium sound amp......circuit city installers sold me the adaptor plugs and the store kept giving me new radios......after the third one, i rewired the system

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Working...
                    X