Making me sick...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making me sick...

I changed my oil last night and well it was running fine... then last night er... this morning 1:00am I was driving up a steep incline and looked in the mirror and white smoke was billowing out of my exhaust like a power plants stacks... It smelled horrible like something was buring burnt, even after I shut the car off it took awhile for the smoke to clear, and the smell didn't. I started her back up no more smoke but the fumes and smell got strong in the car, effects on me and my gf were sore throat, burning nose and eyes, horrid headache, and we got very tired. As soon as we were out of the car the effects wore off. Now I know the fumes are dangerous, that's why I pulled over several times trying to get her home.

The wierd thing is I haven't noticed it today... what could it be? We are going to reroute the exhaust today I believe... it exits right before the rear axle but we're going to put a 90 degree elbow and move it out the side...
    sigpic[LIST][*]99 Crown Vic Police Interceptor aka The Cruiser
    [*]87 Chevy 20 Van 350TBI
    [*]94 Mercury Grand Marquis aka Babyblue RIP
    [*]83 Chrysler New Yorker 5th Ave 318 V8

sounds like leaky valve cover gaskets...and the oil is burning off the maniflods.....but this is usaualy a problem on the 5.0...not the 4.6....I dunno...just specualting

Comment

This is why its bad to dump exhaust under the car... you may have a blown head gasket... white smoke usually is antifreeze...
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Old O-ring still on the engine and caused a leak to spray on exhaust??? I dunno
        Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Hopefully you can get it fixed, so driver and passengers won't get sick again.
          '79 Continental Town Car
          '90 Crown Victoria LTD
          '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

I suspect you have something other than just exhaust routing issues. If it was routed like this before the oil change and you never had fume problems, then something else is probably going on. I'd be having a really good look over the car to see if you can find anything. I'm not going to say getting the exhaust out from under the car is not a good idea but I think its not your only problem.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Haven't smelt the fumes and it's stopped smoking, this summer me and a couple of friends are going to pull the engine and trans, so we can rebuild them and complete the exhaust with dual flowmasters... that's if I can't find a cheap retired Crown Vic w/interceptor package, and the spot-light. But it does leak oil and the radiator is leaking also. So I don't know the extent of the damage. But if I don't get rid of her for a Vic, I'm gonna have a lot of work ahead of me...
              sigpic[LIST][*]99 Crown Vic Police Interceptor aka The Cruiser
              [*]87 Chevy 20 Van 350TBI
              [*]94 Mercury Grand Marquis aka Babyblue RIP
              [*]83 Chrysler New Yorker 5th Ave 318 V8

Comment

Working...
              X