mustang T-5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mustang T-5

A 1983 mustang gt turbo, turbo 2.3 is the tranny a t-5.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
    Big plans

Yup. T-5 came out in '83 in Mustangs.

And that GT Turbo is very rare FYI. Don't part out that car unless it's completely dead.

And you don't want to use that tranny behind a V8. The input shaft length and diameter is different, along with the weak 4:1 first gear. Plus it's a non-World Class tranny. It might even have a lower (numerically higher) OD gear, but I'm not sure about that one.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

yes VERY VERY rare car.

Should be a t5. But as mentioned, worthless 1st gear, different input shaft diameter.. A 4 banger t5s are like that.
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I knew a Mustang guy that had one. Ended up selling it and a '69 Stang to fund his '99 Cobra project. That turbo 4-banger was friggin quick.

Packman

Comment

My buddy has one he stole the engine out of it for a ranger. But no worries it is basically trashed, need a quarter and such . Just a thought for me on the tranny but i guess not, maybe at least i can rob the pedals out of it for a 5 speed conversion.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
          Big plans

Comment

Actually the t-5 I have in the hillbilly suv is from a turbo coupe. You just have to use a different bearing. Thus far I have beat the tar out of it with my 3.08's and ginormous tires. It's still smooth as silk.

I wouldn't put one behind a beefed up engine though.
            Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
            AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
            Open/Lock/Ratio #
            -----------------------
            G / H / 2.26
            B / C / 2.47
            8 / M / 2.73
            7 / - / 3.07
            Y / Z / 3.08
            4 / D / 3.42
            F / R / 3.45
            5 / E / 3.27
            6 / W / 3.73
            2 / K / 3.55
            A / - / 3.63
            J / - / 3.85

Comment

I've had some mustang people say it holds up better behind a v8 than the right trans does. Also I think the granny gear would nice. Not like I need it though.
              1989 Grand Marquis LS
              flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

trashed with a bad 1/4 isn't bad, since there is only like 200 of the cars in exstance....
                Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Well the front end got knocked off previously, and some one decided they could weld a new clip on it and didnt do a very good job, not straight and done the wrong way. The quarter is not damaged its just not there the previous owner cut it out and never put a new one on. Also a trashed and i mean trashed interior. But anyway you think I could use the tranny as a cheap alternative just to get a 5 speed in my car and all the fab and such. Because i can get it for next to nothing. Then upgrade to a TKO or somthing down the road?

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                  Big plans

Comment

Might be worth it to restore it even in that condition. That car will someday be worth more than original Shelbys are worth now - I wouldn't doubt seeing upwards of $90,000 being forked out for that car in 20 years. 556 of them were built - I'm sure less than half of those are still intact 25 years later.

Why is it that I keep seeing people turning up with these cars and beating the snot out of them and junking the remnants instead of hiding them away like a smart person would do?

No offense to you C10, I know you didn't kill the car, I'm just saying it's awfully horrible that I seem to keep seeing people with these cars and not realizing how rare they are.
                    Last edited by CheeseSteakJim; 03-11-2009, 12:12 PM.

Comment

You can use the tranny if you get the correct pilot bearing with the reduced diameter. My main concern with using one is the longer input shaft length, supposidly resulting in increased pressure on the thrust bearing in your engine.
                      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

hmm, interesting. Yeah i know they are stupid rare he has offered to sell the body to me. Seeing as how im an auto body tech i could fix it the proper way. But i have to many projects already and not enough money haha.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                        Big plans

Comment

Originally posted by 1980c10 View Post
                          hmm, interesting. Yeah i know they are stupid rare he has offered to sell the body to me. Seeing as how im an auto body tech i could fix it the proper way. But i have to many projects already and not enough money haha.
                          So get rid of everything else a do the stang. Its probably the only project you could actually make good money on.
                          1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
                          2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
                          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
                          sigpic

Comment

Buy it and put it in storage until you have time/money.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I do not have storage . But im sure if any of you guys wanted it he would sell for cheap, scrap price prolly. Its an 84 by the way i know not as rare but still only 3,700 or so made. I have to go to my apprentice class today but i will be back monday so i could get some pics of it and the condition of it and stuff if anyone is interested. Im with you guys though I wouldnt have even took the engine out of it but i couldnt change his mind so whatever.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                              Big plans

Comment

Working...
                              X