Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

want to swap an AOD into my 79, please help the noob!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

want to swap an AOD into my 79, please help the noob!!!

New here. Im considering swapping an AOD into my 79, any thoughts? [I] have looked at some of the newer ones (84 and an 87) doesnt look like they will swap very easy. I know someone has to have done this before, how'd they do it?
    Check out my ltd http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3054156

Also, anyone got a 4x4 panther? might so it one day with another one.

Hey, nice to see you on here. Welcome to GMN!

4X4 Panthers have been done, but I don't think any members have one right now.

An AOD swap wouldn't be too difficult. Of course you'll need the transmission. I can't imagine Ford changing the crossmember, but you might need that as well. You'd also want to examine the shift linkage to make sure it is the same. You will also have to use a Motorcraft 2150 carb with the linkage for the AOD (some '80-'82 T-Birds had them), or just get a Lokar TV cable and get it adjusted properly. I think your flywheel should be okay.

Put a T-5 manual in there!
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Several people have swapped from an AOD to a C4, so it should be possible to go the other way. Duceandahalf did this, and I think a couple others have.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

4x4 hasn't been done yet, but I have tinkered with the idea. Swap should be pretty much bolt in. I'd see what gears are in the rear before I did though. Some of those cars were geared stupid high and if it is The car may stall when it shifts into od at less than 140.
        1989 Grand Marquis LS
        flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Well I have 3.08 in it now. the shift linkage is different, the kickdown goes the opposite direction between each of them. I have a carb from a 400 on it now, not sure the model. I do have to say, I'm glad I got rid of the VV carb, had a vv2700 on it, started better, but pain to figure out. Also, everyone does a t5, I'm cosidering a t18 4 speed if I get another one. I'm eyeballing a couple of them around home here. I will be getting them if the wife lets me. Got twin boys, want a panther for each of them.

Comment

Hey, as another note, yall may or may not know. My rear coil springs are factory front coils from a 1983 f150 2wd, went right in. Just a little info that may help someone, sits a little higher!

Comment

T18 will fit with a big hole in your floor. That trans is mighty tall. A t10 would fit the 4 speed order much better.
              1989 Grand Marquis LS
              flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

I considered the t18 for the low gearing, not to mention i have one. I dont know if im even gonna do it, I may just keep it an auto. What years do the t5s come from, I've never really looked too far into it. Is there a standard for the clutch/brake assembly, or is it just a cut and test?

Comment

Tiggie, the '79 C4 shift linkage is indeed different than that used on later AOD cars. Regrettably, I neglected to harvest the linkage from my '79 before it went away (would've made my life lots easier), but whenever I get around to sorting out the linkage for the C4 in my '81 (original AOD car), I'll have an idea of how hasslesome it will be the other way around.
                  2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

1987, sounds like I may just want to leave it as it is. I was considering the AOD for gas mileage, but if its gonna be too much work, I may just leave it as it is. Havent had the car out for a good check on mileage. I think I will decide after that.

Comment

Dunno what you'll see with your 3.08; I'll get an idea if and when I ever get my '81 out and driving, as it also has 3.08 gears. My '79 had the dreaded 2.26:1 highway gear, and with more carb than it needed (500cfm and you can imagine how that gear didn't let the motor rev), I easily got over 19mpg with a dorkus (me) doing the tuning.

I do suspect the stock shift linkage can still be made to work ........
                      Last edited by 1987cp; 03-16-2009, 07:01 PM.

Comment

I just had a brainwave and went and checked both my C4 transmission and the AOD bellcrank I have. Conveniently, I also have an AOD core in the garage in addition to the two I have in cars.

The AOD shift lever (the one on the side of the case) points up and moves forward to select gears, and the C4 lever, as configured for my '79 LTD, points down and moves backward to select gears. The AOD used a rod going from the lever to the section of this bellcrank that points up (lower left of picture), rod bends and goes through the bushing you see there and is nonadjustable - adjustment is accomplished where the vertical rod at the right side of this picture goes through the sleeve-and-setscrew assembly mounted to the back end of the shift lever assembly. The C4 has a rod going forward from the case-mounted shift lever and ending in a long adjustment slot, and the corresponding bellcrank has a tab going down instead of up and, if I remember correctly, ending in a threaded bolt hole to make adjustments easy. You'll have to check your car for the sleeve on the shifter I mentioned earlier, since I really can't remember whether my '79 had it or was attached to the bellcrank some other way.

If you do swap to an AOD, your bellcrank would make my life a bit easier, and you could have this one if you like. I had planned to modify this one to work with my C4, but I'm open to a swap. The first pic shows the C4 pivot tab that mounts to the transmission, stuck on the left end of the bellcrank (two bolt holes, 90 degrees to the bellcrank's main rod), while the second pic shows the one for the AOD, with a bolt hole parallel to the bellcrank and a little tab sticking down that goes into a hole at the bottom edge of the transmission case.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Swap in 2.73's, keep/rebuilt the C4 and you'll be getting about the same MPG as you would with an AOD and shorter (numerically higher) gears. That setup will be good as long as you're not an interstate junkie. I've driven lots of cars with 2.70ish-3.00 gearing on the highway. With a mild motor and stock non-lockup torque converter, they cruise very well.

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                          Tiggie, the '79 C4 shift linkage is indeed different than that used on later AOD cars.
                          I was hoping it wasn't but was thinking it might be different. Thanks for that info. I forget that old wagon was a C4 car.
                          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

That's a thought; part of my logic for the C4 in my '81 is that it's a good bit lighter and should be a favorable companion for the extensive in-town cruising I'm anticipating the car will be subjected to.

Comment

As the 4x4 panthers go, does anyone know where I can get some pics??

Comment

Working...
                              X