EGR tube welding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EGR tube welding

has anyone here had experience welding or brazing EGR tubes? is it possible? i'm thinking they may just melt like butter, but thought i'd ask around first.

1996 MERCURY GRAND MARQUIS GS
    "THE GREEN BASTARD"

Hi Troyco

On a 4.6 liter engine for the effort in removing the EGR tube and the cost of a new one it isn't worth welding but yeah I welded mine while awaiting a new one

Regards

Dereck
    President and founder of The Turbine Wheel Appreciation Society and Little Debbie Cake Connoissuer

Also "The Pondside Pain In Your Posterior"

Comment

sorry, i should've probably explained a little better why i'm looking to do this, i'm installing headers, so i'm gonna have to piece together at least a couple of tubes to make it work with the mustang's driver's side EGR bung. did you weld it or braze it?

"THE GREEN BASTARD"

Comment

You braze with a lower temp so you don't have to worry so much about burning holes in things.
        Just make sure your rod melts at a lower temp than what your working on, lol
        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
        sigpic
        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Hi Troyco

I welded mine with a MIG welder but the tube was so thin I had it on the lowest setting and had to just sort of spit the weld on or it would blow a hole.

Regards

Dereck
          President and founder of The Turbine Wheel Appreciation Society and Little Debbie Cake Connoissuer

Also "The Pondside Pain In Your Posterior"

Comment

I would imagine even soldering could work so long as your solder has a higher melting point than the temperatures the part would be subjected to. Modern lead-free solder is a major pain to work with, though ... lots easier to use that coated Lincoln brass rod from Lowe's, provided you have a suitable torch.
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

thanks guys. i've done alot of brazing in the past with old coat hangers, worked well. and cheap. but i'm thinking that'll probably not work in this case. i've also thought of solder, but like 1987 cp stated, it's a PITA to work with the lead-free stuff, and i'm afraid of it melting off. i guess i'll just have to experiment.

"THE GREEN BASTARD"

Comment

This is interesting. I did not know you could easily find coat hangers made from brass.
                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

yeah, i didn't realize the error i made until after i thought about it. using the coat hangers is more like torch welding than brazing. i often call it brazing when it's not.

"THE GREEN BASTARD"

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                    This is interesting. I did not know you could easily find coat hangers made from brass.
                    The coat hangers are not brass, they are steel. Using coat hangers is good in a real pinch but you really should get actual welding rods to avoid porosity and having other inclusions in the weld.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
                    My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

If you have access to one I would use a tig. The key to torch and tig welding really thin shit is to make sure your filler rod is thinner than your base metal.

Brazing would work fine too.

You might be able to mig it sucessfully with an .020 wire or .023 wire. Also try using some of that heat sink compound to pull some of the heat away.

I wouldnt solder because of the low melting point of the solder and using it in an exhaust system. Would most likely crack too after periods of heating and cooling.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
                      My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

Originally posted by TROYCO View Post
                        has anyone here had experience welding or brazing EGR tubes? is it possible? i'm thinking they may just melt like butter, but thought i'd ask around first.
                        Some guy on modulardepot.com has an EGR blockoff plate, and you can get a brass cap for the manifold out of any hardwhare store, if i find the one i had on my mustang i'll get dimensions.
                        sigpic
                        Wrecked - Non-pi 1998 Mustang GT Best ET = 13.36@ 101
                        Just bought: 01 grand marq - 5th 4.6L and counting.

Comment

Working...
                        X