I need a guy who knows car audio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need a guy who knows car audio

I got two sets of cadence cwm6-kit wired to my vx4004 planet audio amp. Each channel running to one speaker. It says the speaker can handle 100watts rms and that is wat the amp puts out each channel. The speakers peak at 200watts I believe thats what the amp peaks too. But when i crank the volume with a mid bass range the speakers start to pop. What could be my problem?? Anyway i could cut the power i run to them?
    sigpic
    1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

The "POP" is the speaker's cone/suspension running out of travel. You can keep the power level up, but you must raise the x-over cutoff. Your amp has an 18db/octave cutoff, but it is only a low pass x-over. So, at this point you are probably asking the speakers to reproduce what they were never designed to do. Are you running subs? The VX 4004 is better suited to someone not running subs, or using it to power only the subs as there is no high-pass x-over.

From here, you can reduce the power levels, or wire in a passive high pass for the midbass drivers.

Comment

Well is there anyway I could adjust it so that it doesnt do that, i will be running one sub soon but I still want to wire the subs off the same amp was thinking about running two channels on one but it would throw off the balance, heres a pic of the adjusters i got
      Attached Files
      sigpic
      1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

Comment

You could run a passive high-pass filter. I would aim for 80-100hz for a 2nd-order passive filter. Go here on how to wire it:

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/cross12db.asp

Comment

will these work? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-...1%7C240%3A1318
          or would this be a better choice http://www.parts-express.com/pe/psho...00&ctab=1#Tabs
          Last edited by 83countrysquire; 03-19-2009, 08:57 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

The first link would work, but you can do it yourself for less money. All you need is a capacitor wired inline. The second link is for a low pass crossover, exactly opposite of what you need.

Comment

So this would be my best option wired inline with positive wire. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/psho...number=027-374
              But i cant find the one that is best for audio quality in that size. But I assume this will do.
              sigpic

Comment

uh, select the HP setting on the crossover thats on the amp. And adjust the gain properly.

here are the specs onthe amp
                2 x 400 watts RMS @ 2 ohms
                * 2 x 400 watts RMS bridged @ 4 ohms
                * 4 X 100 RMS @ 4 Ohms
                * Dimensions 19" (L) x 2-7/16" (H) x 10-5/8" (W)
                * Signal To Noise Ratio 102 dB
                * Frequency Response 20 Hz to 20KHz
                * High and Low Level Inputs
                * Tri Mode Capability
                * LineOut
                * Low/High Pass Crossover
                * Switchable Input Sensitivity 100m-8V
                * Built-In Continuously Variable High and Low Pass Crossovers
                * Continuously Variable Bass Boost 0-18 dB
                * Illuminated Logo
                * Exclusive Patent Pending Invisible Mounting System
                * Chrome Plated Connectors
                * 15 pounds!
                * Fuse rating: 80A (2 x 40A)
                Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
                  uh, select the HP setting on the crossover thats on the amp. And adjust the gain properly.
                  )
                  This. I need to flip my HP filter on, I get a bit too much bass trying to reproduce out of my little 3.5" front speakers. The adjustable controls on the amp are nice, you can just tweak it to how you need/want.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Additionally, most newer head units have built in adjustable crossovers.

Comment

man how i love you guys always so helpful to me especially mrltd always been helping whether it be crazy pipe dreams or things I actually gonna do.
                      sigpic

Comment

Yes, I occasionally can be a helpful asshole.

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
                          Additionally, most newer head units have built in adjustable crossovers.
                          Unfortunately mine doesn't. It has a crossover, but no adjustment which is really stupid.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

So, there is a high pass on there? Did you try it yet? It did seem odd to not have one if it had a low-pass.

Comment

Working...
                            X