Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car cover

Dear Panthers,
    The last time I stored my 89 CP in the barn, mice set up a home amongst my plug wires. I'm thinking of getting an outdoor car cover but the one JC Whitney recommends is $370. Any suggestions?
    Donald McCaig
    1989 CP Scottified steering, suspension and big brakes, 16 in wheels, A-pillar oil & temp gauges, remote entry, backup sensor, tailgate wiper, custom console & trash, tranny & ps coolers, 3 cell radiator, electric fan, dual exhausts, battery isolator, hellas headlights,deer pusher,wads of dog hair.

Won't the mice get in anyway?
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Moth balls FTW...

Put some under the hood in storage.

Works for my camper.
      2000 Grand Marquis LS
      2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
      1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
      1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
      Mercury Owners Group member
      Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

thanks for the hint ray mang!

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

We picked that hint up last time we camped in Kinzua. Fricking chipmunks were chewing on wiring on campers and tow vehicles. Whole campground smelled of Moth Balls...
          2000 Grand Marquis LS
          2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
          1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
          1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
          Mercury Owners Group member
          Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

I would also like to know of a decent car cover that is inexpensive for our cars....i got one that was like 40-50 bux and was supposed to be water proof but water went through it and it got tears in it... so now i have no car cover on my car...
            -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

had squirrels chew the lid off our giant cooler one time when we were camping in virginia

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

If you don't like the smell of moth balls...

Dryer sheets also work. The mice hate them...
                **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

dryer sheets eh???
                  Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                  'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                  sigpic
                  85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

wal-mart has car covers that work on our cars... i had Deuce covered up an entire winter and it didnt tear. it isnt water proof, but keeps sap and stuff off the car. i have a write up on GMN some place for what i used...
                    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...ight=car+cover

how i mention the sides are kinda loose, the bottom can be tied with rope toward center under the car. my car cover is in back seat of Deuce.
                    Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Ah, but does it fit a wagon without substantial modification?

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                        Ah, but does it fit a wagon without substantial modification?
                        Good question, I can't seem to find one within budget
                        sigpic
                        Current Rides
                        67 Cougar XR7
                        97 Mountaineer 5.0
                        03 Ranger XLT

Comment

Yeah, I guess the only cheap-ish ones I know of offhand are the universal or semi-custom-fit models available from JCWhitney.

Which reminds me, I need to order some of that window channel ......................

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                            Yeah, I guess the only cheap-ish ones I know of offhand are the universal or semi-custom-fit models available from JCWhitney.

Which reminds me, I need to order some of that window channel ......................
                            tell me which one you are going to get (style wise) i need to order a piece soon as well.
                            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

dryer sheets and those sticky mouse pad trap things around the wheels if it is being stored inside. they worked to keep mice out of my trailer and my boat this winter.
                              What happened here?

Comment

Working...
                              X