Dual radios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual radios

Has anybody ever used a radio from Dual? Some of them have USB, HD radio and don't cost all that much. Are the any good?
    89 CV LX 225/60 x 16 tires, CC819 rear springs, Front & rear sway bar, trans & PS cooler from 90 cop car. KYB shocks, F-150 on rear. Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe. Dark brown door panels, carpet, steering wheel, trim parts from a 87 Mer GM. Power front buckets from 96 Jeep Cherokee. LED'S front & rear. 3G Alt from a 97 Taurus wagon 3.0. Electric fan. Rear axle from a 97 PI 3.27 with disk brakes. Headlight relays.

if you like returning things to walmart every couple of weeks, then you will totally enjoy it.

on the other hand, if you want a radio that will last, pioneers can be had for as low as 80 brand new.

Comment

That's what I was thinking, never hurts to ask.
      89 CV LX 225/60 x 16 tires, CC819 rear springs, Front & rear sway bar, trans & PS cooler from 90 cop car. KYB shocks, F-150 on rear. Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe. Dark brown door panels, carpet, steering wheel, trim parts from a 87 Mer GM. Power front buckets from 96 Jeep Cherokee. LED'S front & rear. 3G Alt from a 97 Taurus wagon 3.0. Electric fan. Rear axle from a 97 PI 3.27 with disk brakes. Headlight relays.

Comment

I have one im my cougar and it works fine. much more power than the stock one. just because it came from walmart doesnt mean that its crap. i got news for ya, they sell pioneer too. anyway, the radio works just fine, its just not as easy to use as some of the others out there, but they are cheaper.
        What happened here?

Comment

i have one in one of my mavericks and in my cutlass. theyre not going to blast out the neighborhood but both of mine sound nice and havent had any issues
          1989 Grand Marquis GS

Comment

Originally posted by crown vic muscle View Post
            I have one im my cougar and it works fine. much more power than the stock one. just because it came from walmart doesnt mean that its crap. i got news for ya, they sell pioneer too. anyway, the radio works just fine, its just not as easy to use as some of the others out there, but they are cheaper.
            yeah, i know the saying "just cause its from" well in this case its true. when i worked for butch, we had one guy buy three in a row and they all broke within 2 weeks. we had a couple other people buy them too, and guess what...2 weeks later they where rockin another one.

i speak from experience on this one. utter crap.

Comment

i had one it was ok for a 59 dollar head unit......lots of ignition noise......somebody stole it before i had a chance to break it

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Durabrand is another to avoid. Both of mine are still going (I have on in GL and in the F250) and they are still going, but who knows how long lol
                Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

I've always had good luck with Sony, Pioneer, and JVC head units. I've had a JVC cd/mp3 player in my truck for the 8 years I've owned it, and it was in my Dakota for a few months before I sold it.It gets used almost every day, still works fine.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ahhh, sounds like the old "Roadmaster" brand radios of the late 80's/ early 90's. They were cheap, they sounded good, and generally lasted a whole week before smoking up the interior of your car.

I tried repairing one or two that people brought me. After a brief inspection, I realized they both had a capacitor set up to filter the incoming 12v (13.8 +/-) that was only rated at 2 volts. The other components that I looked at, were similarly being over driven. It explains why they got so hot when they were playing. I know of at least one guy, who had his dash damaged by the heat.

I never messed with one of their amps, but I'm told they were the inspiration for the George Foreman grill...
                    Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
                    AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
                    Open/Lock/Ratio #
                    -----------------------
                    G / H / 2.26
                    B / C / 2.47
                    8 / M / 2.73
                    7 / - / 3.07
                    Y / Z / 3.08
                    4 / D / 3.42
                    F / R / 3.45
                    5 / E / 3.27
                    6 / W / 3.73
                    2 / K / 3.55
                    A / - / 3.63
                    J / - / 3.85

Comment

I have had the same Kenwood 10 disc changer combo for over 10 years, still works great
                      2000 Grand Marquis LS
                      2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
                      1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
                      1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
                      Mercury Owners Group member
                      Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

have the higher end Dual cd player in the Geo Storm. it is the black unit with blue lighting and motorized face. some reason it doesnt like radio stations and sounds distorted, but when listening to CDs it sounds fine...
                        Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

I asked the same question about Dual a couple years ago on another forum and it seemed the general consensus was that Dual at one point made very affordable quality audio, but lately they've gone down the tubes.

Comment

I remeber I used to have a dual cassette deck in my car.

Not made by Dual, it had two players built in.

And also had a portable Boom box with slide out record player....
                            2000 Grand Marquis LS
                            2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
                            1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
                            1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
                            Mercury Owners Group member
                            Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

i dont really like the stereos, but the speakers are decent. i have had the Illuminites that i had in Deuce than swapped them to Baby when oil pump seized in Deuce and when getting rid of Baby, installed the speakers in Cocoa. they still sound like they are new and no issues. my favorite part about the speakers was the capability of connecting to a switch for the LEDs built into them.
                              Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Working...
                              X