1997 Grand Marquis Steering problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1997 Grand Marquis Steering problem

Hey all...I'm new here. I just picked up a 1997 Grand Marquis GS for $1000. Very clean car. Only has 111k on the engine and drives really smooth. But as stated in the title...I believe I have a problem with my steering.

Now If I'm not mistaken this car has the VAPS (variable assist power steering) correct? If so...How can I find out if its not working correctly. I mean I personally think its not because it seems to have full assist at highway speeds...almost to the point where I've gone in another lane( very scary).

theres no codes showing its shorted out or a fault of any kind.

And lastly....I'm guessing here...But i've looked everywhere and it seems to me the only way to really "fix" the problem if I indeed do have one is to replace the power steering pump correct?

Thanks for everyones help, and I hope to here on this forum for a long time to come.

Justin
    New Baltimore, MI

I have the same problem on my '01 TC, whoever owned it before broke off the clip for the solenoid that controls the level of boost for the steering.

The site below has good pics of all the parts on a '98. Just the other day I called the parts desk (here in Canada), and was told they don't sell just the solenoid, the guy seemed confused/in a rush, I probably should have called the better shop across town.

http://www.p71interceptor.com/steering/pumps/pictures/

When I bought this car, I was told it had been taken to jiffy lube-style places, I think one of them broke it when changing the oil filter.

Good Luck

Comment

before you go looking into the variable assist, check the idler arm and the pitman arm......these are usually worn out by 80,000 miles......also check for play in the tie rod ends.....iirc 97's did not have grease fittings either on them.....they run out of grease then get play in them
      also check for play in the steering gear, the steering coupler, steering shaft, wheel bearings, ball joints......all critical in going down the road straight

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania View Post
        before you go looking into the variable assist, check the idler arm and the pitman arm......these are usually worn out by 80,000 miles......also check for play in the tie rod ends.....iirc 97's did not have grease fittings either on them.....they run out of grease then get play in them
        also check for play in the steering gear, the steering coupler, steering shaft, wheel bearings, ball joints......all critical in going down the road straight
        Lincolnmania - I'll be sure to check out the front end and all, but it doesnt seem like that would be the case.

The car drives as smooth as possible, doesnt pull, shake or shimmy. It just has really sensitive steering.

Justin
        New Baltimore, MI

Comment

Well...I just got back from the ford dealership down the road from me.

They want $230+ for the EVO valve for the power steering. OUCH!! Whats even funnier, They only want $171.75+ tax for a complete pump INCLUDING VALVE!! Why in the hell would they do that?

I've been thinking though, if it would be worth it to go to the pick and pull junk yard by me to get a few used ones and try them first before I spend the 170+ on a new pump. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Justin
          New Baltimore, MI

Comment

62 bucks plus tax for a power steering pump at autozone

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

Comment

Already checked advanced auto and auto zone and that doesn't include the EVO valve that is needed. both places told me its a dealer item only.

Justin
              New Baltimore, MI

Comment

try car-part.com for a used one mang

Comment

Ange's has always been like that and it doesnt have the variable assist. Just really easy power steering. Im sure she could use a new gearbox tho as its the original 250k one.
                  Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

The way the front end is aligned can have a dramatic effect on how these cars handle. I was never happy with the way my '01 handled because it seemed to drift from lane to lane. When it was due for new tires I had the front end checked by the shop, the alignment tech said the toe was slightly off and recommended running more "caster" to make the wheel return to center easier. I took his advice and was amazed at how much better the car handled.
                    2003 Lincoln Navigator
                    2001 Grand Marquis
                    1985 Camaro, 12.52 @ 114 MPH

Comment

Working...
                    X