stock audio wires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stock audio wires?

i just installed a aftermarket cd player. the thing is i cant figure out which wires are the speaker wires. there are so many wires, sum coming from the stock amp, others i have no idea, there seems to be a lack of wires for the six speakers. i was wondering if anybody could help me out to figure out these wires?

first question, what year and what kind of car are we talking about here?
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

88 mercury grand marquis ls

Comment

did you get the wiring harness kit to be able to just wire up to aftermarket radio so all you have to do is connect the plugs? i noticed some of the '88 and newer can do that, but older setups are different. i usually just run all new speaker lines in place of the stock stuff.
        Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Run new speaker wires, I am not sure if the later models still used common ground which sucks. (one ground for all speakers = gay) It can potentially fuck up your aftermarket CD player if it uses common ground.

Comment

Yeah its best to run new wires but if you have to use what you have, the wiring adapter you can buy will save this headache!
            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
              Yeah its best to run new wires but if you have to use what you have, the wiring adapter you can buy will save this headache!
              Wiring adapter mang?

Comment

yes, the ones readily available to aid wiring the radio in...?
                'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                sigpic
                85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Is there a way of "de-commoning" the grounds on the speakers? How would I fix it so it gets a better ground? Could I just run grounds individually from each speaker in place of the current negative wires? I'm sorta a n00b at this stuff, but I have a stereo in right now that I think was fried (was pre-fried on purchase) by wiring issues of some sort, and don't wanna fuck up the next head unit I put in.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                  160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                  waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Its easiest to run all new speaker wire from the speakers right into the output of the head unit, eliminating the speaker-wire half of the wiring adapters. You can use the other half for the power wires though, but instead of crimping the head units ground wire into the power adapter, run a new wire to a ground tab or some good ground you find.
                    Some people also like to upgrade the power wire for the head unit too if using its internal amp, since some new stereos have more power demands than the old ones.
                    sigpic

Comment

Once upon a time, I installed a radio in the red box. The wiring was trashed. I removed the front door panels and looked for the remains of speaker wires. When you find them, make note of the color.

You can do the same by looking at the leads under the package tray for the rear speakers.

I don't have dash speakers, but I think you could use the same approach.

Look at the plug (or what is available for trashed wires up front), and see if the same colors are present. You can check the continuity across the wires to make sure you have each set of speaker wires matched properly.
                      **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                      **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

the 12volt is a excellent source for audio wiring diagrams I also have a post of the wires and such somewhere on here im putting my deck in soon hopefully withen the next week or so
                        89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Working...
                        X