Transmission Longetevity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission Longetevity

How many miles have you guys driven before your AODE transmissions have started acting up? My '93 GM has 109,000 on the odometer and the transmission feels like it's slipping. This thing hasn't been babied, but it hasn't been beaten either. When starting out on a hill, I can hear the tranny shift into 2nd gear, but it will go back into 1st, and then make up its mind and go into 2nd. It has recently (within the last 1,000 miles) gotten a new filter and 5 new quarts of fluid. Any thoughts? Is this normal or am I paraniod?
    1998 Crown Victoria P71: Former National Institiute of Health vehicle
    1974 VW Beetle

Mine went out a lil after 108.000...burned itself right up..I was driving home from work and the car started to accelerate all by itself..u know like the cruz control was on..and the idle was super high..and plus the car wouldnt go over. 40mph...and the engine would just scream..so when i got home i doused the throttle linkage with WD40 and it brought the idle back down..but as soon as you put it in drive the idle shot right back up...so all in all I found out (after replacing 6 quarts and a filter) that I needed a whole new trans...Oh yeah and from the trans some how blew a vaccum line on the motor..It cost me straight 1200 with a employee discount from ford...

Try putting Lucas trans additive in it and see if that helps

Comment

This might be what you're looking for.

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00185.html

and 5 quarts is not a fluid change, thats a pan drop. Full change is about 12 quarts if you drain the torque converter.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks for the link. That sounds like what my car is doing. I know there's more than 5 quarts in the tranny. I replaced the filter as a precautionary measure because I didn't know when it was last done, but the fluid is pink and at the proper level.
        1974 VW Beetle

Comment

maybe 18,000mi?
          08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
          03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
          97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
          94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
          73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
          12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
          Originally posted by pantera77
          Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Wow, only 18,000 miles?
            1974 VW Beetle

Comment

"Knocks on wood: Ange's 95 GM has 250k on it. Just change the fluid every 30k and shudder gaurd helps as well.
              Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

i swapped trannys at 115,000. in january, at 132,000m, the tranny burned up. but then again, repeated neutral bombs and slaming it into reverse didn't help very much.
                fuckin' snow.....
                08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                Originally posted by pantera77
                Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

My 96 has 288K on it, never been changed, regular filter changes every 50K, and trans additive. does just fine.
                  1996 Grand Marquis White, 288,600 miles as of 4-3-09
                  4.6L cvpi engine and pcm, Dual Exhaust, Blue Leather Interior, Keyless Entry and Remote Start, DOT Strobes, LED Front Marker Lights, Running 93 Octain Fuel.

Comment

Originally posted by Mercury93 View Post
                    How many miles have you guys driven before your AODE transmissions have started acting up? My '93 GM has 109,000 on the odometer and the transmission feels like it's slipping. This thing hasn't been babied, but it hasn't been beaten either. When starting out on a hill, I can hear the tranny shift into 2nd gear, but it will go back into 1st, and then make up its mind and go into 2nd. It has recently (within the last 1,000 miles) gotten a new filter and 5 new quarts of fluid. Any thoughts? Is this normal or am I paraniod?
                    I would start out with by replacing the 1-2 accumulator piston and springs, it is very easy to do. Once you get the pan off you just need a large c-clamp and some snap ring pliers to remove the accumulator cover. This would also be a good time to drain the torque converter.
                    2003 Lincoln Navigator
                    2001 Grand Marquis
                    1985 Camaro, 12.52 @ 114 MPH

Comment

This sounds like it's going to turn into my summer project. It seems simple enough.
                      1974 VW Beetle

Comment

I picked up a bottle of Lucas trans additive, so we'll see how much of a difference that makes.
                        1974 VW Beetle

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          This might be what you're looking for.

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00185.html

and 5 quarts is not a fluid change, thats a pan drop. Full change is about 12 quarts if you drain the torque converter.
                          ....and if you loosen the valve body, you can squeeze out some more.

Comment

Working...
                          X