A/C question>which is less stress normal or max

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A/C question>which is less stress normal or max

Woundering what you all have to say on this.
    If your a/c is on all the time like down here&like never off which is less stess on the engine?

Back in the 80's i used to use the hi/low position all the time as my main person who worked on my car said that was less stress.He also worked for Ford for 35 years so i took him at his word no questions asked.I keeped it on hi/low for 10 years straight&didn't seem to stress it any even in bumper to bumper traffic.

I am getting conflicting answers on this so what is your take?

Thanks
    99 Grand Marqius/HPP/103k
    05 Crown Vic/LX/10K/Dads

The high/low? What is that, does that mean to are running max fan speed, on AC, VS. high fan speed on MAX AC?

The less air that flows across the condensor, the less the pump has to run. The colder the air that crosses that condensor the less the pump had to run. MAX AC draws its air from inside the car, so that is the least taxing way to run AC.

Oh, and FYI, Crown Vic doesn't have a 'k' on it. Unless you did that on purpose to be different, then my bad.

Comment

Thanks Blaxe.

The hi/low was for bringing the a/c in from the outside and cooling or warming it then sending some to the floor and some to the regular a/c ducks.The car seem to keep a better temperature than the normal or max setting.

I had 75&79 Caddy at one time and used to use the bi-level position all the time as that worked for them and didn't seem to stess it out any.

The problem is if you keep opening and closing your windows everyday day in and day out you will burn out your window regulator in no time flat.I see it all the time down here with big black bags hanging out of peoples windows all the time.Not good where you have driving heavy duty rain on going on a daily basis most of the time.
      05 Crown Vic/LX/10K/Dads

Comment

Originally posted by MIAMI-DADE
        The problem is if you keep opening and closing your windows everyday day in and day out you will burn out your window regulator in no time flat.
        It should be fine. They are designed to be used every day. However it is a posibility that they will fail, but that is true with anything. And not using them is also bad. Joints dry up and then the first time you use it in a couple of months the cable jumps off the track and they make you buy a new one.

That's why I don't want power windos in my car. I wish they made one that was both a crank version and power version in one. That would be so nice.

Comment

Now that i think about it your right.

My last car an 88 Town Car i didn't open the rear windows in 9 years.For some reason i opened them that day and both cables jumped off the track.Didn't think at the time keeping the them closed all the time had something to do with it.

If one goes it's usally the drivers anyway cause of tolls&parking garages and people asking for directions which happens here all the time.

Yeah having a crank and p/w would be super.But that will never happen.

Thanks for the comeback.

By the way your car looks super.I really like it.The 5.0 was the best engine ever.
          05 Crown Vic/LX/10K/Dads

Comment

Thanks man! I got the last year of the 302 and I'm very happy with it!

I noticed the widows on my Grandmother's Toyota Camary. They would break almost every 3 months. So I started to fix them myself, and found all the flaws. Every time it bent a little metal tab and jumed off the track. Was a simple fix. Some times it broke a little plastic thing, but then I just made a metal on in it's place and it never happened again. After fixing all the windows myself and replacing th broken plastics with metal, it's been 1 and a half years since the last one broke.

I'm thinking of makeing the crank/power window myself.....hmmm....CrankPower, good name huh? The power widows that were in an 82 F159 I had looked as though they had taken a crank window and put a motor where the cranks goes. Just need to rig a setup that alows for 2 different sources of crank.

Comment

Yeah crank power.That should work.

Your Vic has power windows dosen't it?My neighbor had a 86 and had it.Her windows acted up and wouldn't open for years for fear they wouldn't go back up.She spent about 1400 bucks putting a new a/c system in the Vic.But she had no choice living jungle heat for 7 months of the year.

Hell i just just spent 1500 bucks putting in a 2 ton a/c for my condo.Don't seem right the condo and the car cost the same does it?

Did you put the 600 watt system and all the jvc system in yourself?
              05 Crown Vic/LX/10K/Dads

Comment

Nope, good old crank for me!!

Comment

Working...
                X