Tailgate problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tailgate problem

The tailgate on my 86 crown vic wagon is giving me problems. It seems that the top latch is not clicking shut when I close the tailgate which is preventing the lock from working. The bottom latch clicks shut however. Also since it does not close tight, the window does not seal tight and it leaks when it rains. I have slammed it shut with the window up and down, but it still will not click shut. So are the strikers for the tailgate supposed to have those plastic rings around them? If so, would they have those plastic rings at like an autozone?

the tailgate strikers are wagon specific
    try adjusting the upper striker......as the tailgate hinges get worn, they come out of adjustment

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

yeah, you need new strikers. They should have plastic around the upper ones (check junkyards) Hopefullly you didn't break anything slamming it like you did.
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Thanks for the info! I will look for the strikers with the plastic ring on them. And no, I didn't break anything. "Slamming" might have been the wrong choice of word. More like closing it just a little bit harder than normal, definately not so hard to break anything though.

Comment

as for the plastic around the strickers, if you can't find any get some GOOD rubber hose. my parents had a for van that they could get the striker off to replace the part, so they used the hose. had to replace it every few months but worked great!

as of now my wifes wagon is having issues latching at the bottom.. about to look at that now
          f/s modded 99 s10 - $3500, F/s 90 accord - $450, f/s 84 Cutlass $2200, parting out another 90 accord
          86 LTD wagon - wifes back up car
          slammed 86 pontiac wagon - back up dd
          79 fairmont - DD

Comment

something that is common is a sticky top latch. iv had it hapen on most of my wagons. the panel has to come off and you need to soak the latch from the inside of the tailgate with WD 40 then open and lock the latch by hand to free it up from the inside. you will find if you open the tailgate and try to close the top and bottom latch that the bottom will lock but the top one wont lock.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
            1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
            1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
            2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
            2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by wagon mafia View Post
              as for the plastic around the strickers, if you can't find any get some GOOD rubber hose. my parents had a for van that they could get the striker off to replace the part, so they used the hose. had to replace it every few months but worked great!
              That is exactly what I did. All of the wagons at the wreckers around here were missing the plastic on the striker so I bought some rubber fuel hose and fit it around the striker. I could not get the striker apart to replace the plastic so I just cut a slit in the hose, put it on the striker, and put a few laps of electrical tape around it. It has been working perfect now for a few months. If it wears out it is not a big deal to replace the hose.

+1 on soaking the latches in WD-40. My tailgate would not work in the fold down position. I soaked all of the tailgate latches in the WD-40 and now it works perfect in the swing open and fold down positions.

Comment

mins just sagging badly, and i'm not sure how to adjust it
                f/s modded 99 s10 - $3500, F/s 90 accord - $450, f/s 84 Cutlass $2200, parting out another 90 accord
                86 LTD wagon - wifes back up car
                slammed 86 pontiac wagon - back up dd
                79 fairmont - DD

Comment

if the gate ha any movement at the hinge, the pin bushings should be replaced. even a little move ment at the hinge can cause lots of play

Comment

On my 75 Meteor I had to replace everything, I got lucky and found all NEW (believe it or not) in the package replacements at a yard sale. The odds of that being a little to much for my brain to comprehend I told my brain to shut the Hell up and paid the man...
                    Just for weird stuff like that happening often back then I miss living in Calgary.
                    95 Townie under constructionsigpic
                    75 Merc Meteor wagon (rust in peace)
                    81 GM Tudor (flat as a racoon on the Trans-Canada)

Comment

Originally posted by Tillinghast View Post
                      The odds of that being a little to much for my brain to comprehend I told my brain to shut the Hell up and paid the man...
                      :jawdrop: I'll say!
                      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Im very new to this and my tailgate is sagging on my colony park how do you adjust the hinges? or do they need to be replaced? I also have a passenger side door thats sagging a little
                        1989 Suzuki Swift GTi
                        1988 Mercury Colony Park

Comment

im almost positive that you will need hinge bushings. can you lift up on the tailgate and feel play in the hinge?

Comment

yes on both the tailgate and the door I can lift and feel free play
                            1989 Suzuki Swift GTi
                            1988 Mercury Colony Park

Comment

You need pins and bushings.
                              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X