2003 first oil change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2003 first oil change

I'd really like to talk to the engineer who stuffed that filter in there. Oil spills all over taking it out, and pre-filling the new filter doesn't do much when you try and wedge the damn thing in there. I lost most of the oil. WTF? Not to mention it seemed almost impossible to get the old filter out and new one in, it's such a smal tight squeeze.

lol.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

yeah, the modular motor's oil filter location leaves much to be desired.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Turn the steering wheel all the way right...Get the pitman arm out of the way, Then you can hold the filter straight up to hold the pre-load in til you thread it.

Comment

try changing the oil filter on a hot toyota tacoma v6........you wont ever complain about the 4.6

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

The worst I ever had to do was a Feiro with the Iron duke. I had to take the damn alt. out just to get the filter out of it.
            1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
            2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
            sigpic

Comment

Turn the steering wheel all the way right...Get the pitman arm out of the way, Then you can hold the filter straight up to hold the pre-load in til you thread it.
              Yup, thats teh best way.
              Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Originally posted by AKA_Rizzo View Post
                The 2003 and up Panthers have rack and pinion steering, there is no pitman arm to move. I haven't had any problems accessing the filter on our 2004 Crown vic, but I normally install the new filter empty.

Our 2003 Navigator has to be the worst I've seen for a filter location, you have to reach up between the frame and fan shroud just to get your hand on the filter. After the first time I changed the oil I decided to switch to a premium oil and change it once per year.
                2003 Lincoln Navigator
                2001 Grand Marquis
                1985 Camaro, 12.52 @ 114 MPH

Comment

The 2003 and up Panthers have rack and pinion steering, there is no pitman arm to move. I haven't had any problems accessing the filter on our 2004 Crown vic, but I normally install the new filter empty.
                  Ahh yes forgot. I always put oil in the filter cause I don't like the thought of things running dry for any longer than they have to.
                  Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Originally posted by p71towny View Post
                    Ahh yes forgot. I always put oil in the filter cause I don't like the thought of things running dry for any longer than they have to.
                    x tree brazillion.

I didn't see the guys car was an 03 even though it's in the thread title ...D'oh

Comment

my cadillac was a pain in the ass. when under the car the oil filter is straight up but its between the oil pan and the front subframe. pain in the ass it was.

Comment

I never prefill a filter, never know what's hiding at the bottom of that jug.
                        Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                        Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

I've just changed the oil on my 98 4.6 for the first time, having had a 94 T-Bird for the last 4yrs, and the filter is REALLY easy to get to compared to the T-Bird. All I had to do was turn the steering to get the Pitman arm out of the way and its a breeze.

If you think that the Grand Marquis are difficult, I'd love to know what is easy!

Comment

Originally posted by AKA_Rizzo View Post
                            x tree brazillion.

I didn't see the guys car was an 03 even though it's in the thread title ...D'oh
                            I am all for filling the filter with oil prior to installing it, but on this particular car 90% of the oil spills out of the filter before I get it screwed on.

I wish every vehicle was like our old 1988 Chevy truck with a 350, don't even need ramps to change the oil on that, and the filter screws on straight up. I always prefill the filter on this when changing the oil.
                            2003 Lincoln Navigator
                            2001 Grand Marquis
                            1985 Camaro, 12.52 @ 114 MPH

Comment

The oil filter on my dads 99 altima is on the back of the engine and you have to reach far up to the middle of it to remove it.
                              2018 F150 XLT 43k
                              1970 Buick GS 455 Stage 1 44k
                              1968 Buick Riviera

Comment

Working...
                              X