03+ front coilover question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

03+ front coilover question

I added an 05 Crown Vic to my stable this winter. The front needs new shocks, which on this model are the coilover/strut design. My searches on this haven't turned up an answer to my question, which is:

Once I remove the coilover assembly, compress the spring, and unbolt the seat (on the top), can i pull out the old shock by hand? Can I push the new shock in by hand?

Or, is it best to have a shop compress and remove the old shock and install/press in my new one?

thanks.
    05 Crown Victoria
    88 Grand Marquis

Now that I look closer, I may be making too much of this. I think the spring will lift right off the shock and there's nothing to "press in."
    05 Crown Victoria
    88 Grand Marquis

Comment

phew, cause nobody here knows anything about the 03+
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

ha! well, i'll try to remember my camera when i do the job so i can document it and maybe do a short writeup for the next guy who finds himself in the same situation.
        05 Crown Victoria
        88 Grand Marquis

Comment

That would help!

All I know is the basics, that it's a coilover setup.

You might have to compress the spring a little to get it on depending on the arrangement, but again, I haven't meesed with any of the newer setups.
          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I have found out on the aluminum fronts the alignment is done using the inner lower control arm bushings / bolts
            Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Working...
            X