Town Car stereo cuts in and out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Town Car stereo cuts in and out

The factory stereo on my 89 Town Car cuts in and out. It is non JBL and has a tape player. I tried replacing the amp and that wasn't the problem. My Ford service manual for my Mark VII PP tests seem to suggest that a shorted speaker/speaker wire would cause this but I doubt this as my car only has 16k miles on it and was unmodified and owned by an elderly couple. The stereo itself seems to work okay its just that sometimes it is just a light buzz sound. When you turn the volume up all the way you can just barely hear the radio. I was thinking it must be the head unit. I also switched 2 of the rear speakers with known good ones but that didn't help so I switched it back.

This is the only thing wrong with my car and it is driving me nuts since I like to listen to the radio and half the time it doesn't work. Sometimes it will work fine for a while but then it goes back to not working. Any ideas would be appreciated thanks!

Sounds like the head unit is dying. The capacitors in them dry up and they get all stupid. If you have a spare, try swapping it. Not sure if the one in the 87 LSC is the same, but if it looks the same it will work. I think the 87 used that 4 button radio though.

Also, check to see that the connectors on the back of the stereo are fullly seated. If one has gotten knocked loose somehow, that might explain it.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

a bad speaker would cause it, and my wagon was a one owner elderly car, and the rear speakers were disconnected because they were blown.

Old people are deaf...

But, like gadget said, the head unit could be dead too, I'm pretty sure my TC is the exact same way.
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

another cuase is the vol knobs on those go after a while mine works but you have to crank it to get all the speakers to work properly lol id just use an aftermarket deck.
        89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

All the connections in back are tight I checked that already. I was thinking the speakers were good because when the stereo works they all sound good. I was leaning towards the head unit.

Comment

i would replace the head unit with a known good one. are you looking for a stock replacement, stock looking, or aftermarket? all of them are available
            What happened here?

Comment

Well I wanted another stock one but after looking at the local u pull its I couldn't find a nice one so I bought an aftermarket. That will have to do I guess. I'll check back once I put it in.

Comment

you are going to have to purchase an amp bypass harness to use an aftermarket radio in the 89.......on my 86, i had to run all new wiring because there is no amp bypass harness

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Working...
                X