'83 and '88 AOD linkages the same?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'83 and '88 AOD linkages the same?

I can't remember, are these direct swaps? I couldn't remember if there was something different in the TV and shifter linkages.

the actual ones on the trans? Should be the same, but the actual TV setup is completely different.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I should have clarified. Are the connecting points on the transmission the same between the two years? Will the '88 TV cable and shifter shaft hook directly to the older transmission without changing anything.

Seems I could possibly get a used trans for the '88. Need the car moving, a.s.a.p.

Comment

Shift lever probably the same, TV possibly not but I'd bet a dollar you can swap the TV lever with one nut and not opening the trans up. Other than that, they should be the same. Side by side, you'll see any differences. If the shift lever is in fact different, its not hard to swap them.

Just be aware the 83 trans is weaker and has the smaller overdrive servo. Endurance may not be it's strong point but it ought to do you fine to make the car move under it's own again.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

The actual tranny is a direct swap, no need to change linkages. TV and shifter hook up exactly the same at the trans. I swapped an '87 trans into my '82 no problem.
            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Working...
            X