Flushing Transmission Cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flushing Transmission Cooler

Hey guys, I just got a transmission cooler from the junkyard for vicky, and the fluid inside it wasn't looking too good. I wanted to know what's the best way to flush a transmission cooler? I want to ensure that this cooler does not mess up my recently rebuilt transmission. Thanks in advance,

~John

with a freshly rebuilt transmission...I would buy a new cooler.
    it's cheap insurance.

the cooler I got from FRPP was $44 and it has a built in thermostat to keep the fluid from being over cooled in the colder months.
    2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
    89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
    88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Originally posted by 88grandmarq View Post
      with a freshly rebuilt transmission...I would buy a new cooler.
      it's cheap insurance.

the cooler I got from FRPP was $44 and it has a built in thermostat to keep the fluid from being over cooled in the colder months.
      +1

definetely get a new one
      Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

You could mess it up by using compressed air to clean it anyway. Thats the only way I would clean something like that. however, since you can't, I would just get a new one.
        Vehicle: 1965 Pontiac Catalina (fastback 2+2)
        Chasis: 1982 Ford LTD Country Squire
        Drivetrain: 302 V8 carb, AOD, 8.8 with 3.08 gears.
        Big Brake swap and front suspension completed.
        sigpic

Comment

If you have access to a parts washer that uses real solvent, stick the hose into one and and let the solvent flush through it for a while. This should work with most any sort of solvent honestly but the Safety-Kleen mineral spirits type would probably do a better job. Once its done being flushed, use an air nozzle with the hole in the side of the tip to blow it out. The hole in the side should keep it from having too much pressure blasted through.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thain, thank you very much! I knew that I wouldn't have to replace the transmission cooler, because the transmission shop kept my old cooler after the rebuild. I talked to them today and they said that they have use some transmission line flush. With the flush and the air nozzle, I'll be good to go. I do have access to an actual parts washer with solvent.

Comment

If you insist on flushing the older coolers, I would use the AC line flush with compressed air. because of the way the cooler is made, most liquid solvent is difficult to completely remove, it will leave a residue and will damage most any rubber it comes into contact with.

AC line flush leaves no residue and is easier to completely remove.
              2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
              89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
              88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

already done and nice and clean mang! Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X