NEW BOLT-ON 130-AMP ALTERNATOR KIT.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEW BOLT-ON 130-AMP ALTERNATOR KIT.

Howdy....I discovered a new toy today....

NAPA now offers part #66226HDN, which is, essentially, a 3G alternator with harness, that replaces original part #66218....retail price is $197.99.....but I might be able to pull something off to get that lower. I also have a 1989-1993 T-bird 5.0 130-amp alternator option (stockers are only 95 amps), but it requires that you use the 6-groove pulley from the original alternator.

Yes, this is the same 3G you can buy at a wrecking yard, but if you are in a pinch, and want a new alternator, AND don't want to monkey around with the wiring....it's almost a direct bolt-on.

For further details, email me at racingmoose@msn.com.

thats neato.

general 3g alt question as well as including that new alt you mentioned. do these alternators fit ford trucks of the same era as well?
    Last edited by 70torino429; 04-28-2009, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 70torino429 View Post
      thats neato.

general 3g alt question as well as including that new alt you mentioned. do these alternators fit ford trucks of the same era as well?
      I'm working on cross-referencing as we speak.

EDIT: It fits the trucks, also, that use either a 66218 or 66226 alternator.
      Last edited by ; 04-28-2009, 03:49 PM.

Comment

thanks! wish i knew this a year ago when i replaced the alt in my other truck but next time i need one ill certainly spring for one of those, since with the subwoofer and foglights im kind of maxing out the charging system

Comment

Some new applications:
          66228HDN fits 1990-1991 Explorer
          66221HDN fits most 1987-1994 F-series with a 300-6
          66215HDN fits most 1986-1990 Bronco II's, and 1986-1992 2.9 Rangers

As for the 66214HDN and 66212HDN, I'm waiting for one to arrive to see if it fits the T-bird.

All of these alternators are 130 amp, if I'm reading this correctly.

Comment

Scroll down to '2G Solution Flyer'.
            http://napaproseries.com/Sales-Flyers

66226 6 groove serpentine. proper clocking. NAE66226HDN specific one for the serpentine belted boxes.

66212 V-belt. Wrong mounts.

66214 4 groove serpentine. Wrong mounts.

Seems like you work at a Napa, a few minutes with the computer hopefully spits out all the original part number apps listed in the flyer.

Alex.
            Last edited by GM_Guy; 04-29-2009, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
              66212 V-belt. Wrong mounts.

66214 4 groove serpentine. Wrong mounts.
              Wrong mounts? Not for a 1989-1993 Ford T-bird with a 5.0....the upper mounting ear for the MN12 5.0 alternator is at the 2 o'clock position, vs, the 6-and-12 ears of the 66226HDN. I now have a 66214HDN in the building here, and the 66226HDN, and I'm waiting for a regular 66239 T-bird alternator to arrive tomorrow to verify that everything lines up with the 66214HDN.

Comment

I believe the mounting pattern is the same as the 83-94.5 IDI Diesels as well is it not? Other then wiring it should bolt right in.
                1990 LTD Crown Vic w/ dead 5.0
                1984 Pontiac 6000 cammed 2.5L Iron Duke
                1986 F-150 300 6cyl 5spd.
                1994 Crown Vic... Free, bad trans?

Comment

excellent....the price is not bad.....iirc i paid around 177 for the last new 3ag

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

So, will these new alternators plug-in to our 2g harnesses? When I get back from work tonight, I'll go and check the model number of the stock 2g alt. I got in the CV.

Packman

Comment

no
                      teh power plug was nothing but trouble on the 2g's

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I've gotten an email or two concerning the alternators, concerning whether or not the 66226HDN fits the '85-down cars....I don't know yet. There are a couple of v-belt alternators, but it seems like the regular 85-down alternators still used the remote voltage regulators (I owned three 1985 wagons, but I can't remember what style of alternator they used).

I'm off work today and tomorrow, but I'm stopping by there here in a little while, as I want to see if the T-bird alternator matches the 66214HDN alternator I already have sitting at work. The 130-amp alternator, if it works, would be a nice boost over the turd 95-amp unit that's in my car already (it's a new Ford unit, but it sucks). In addition, I'll run through the HDN alternators to see if there is a 85-down-suitable replacement.....but I'm thinking that this group of guys is still going to have to redo their wiring to make it work, methinks.

More later.

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
                        no
                        teh power plug was nothing but trouble on the 2g's
                        Ditto.

For those of you who haven't heard of this problem, the older 2G alternators are famous for building up a shitload of resistance, causing shorts and fires. More than one car has burned to the ground due to this problem, which has resulted in most replacement 2G alternators now coming without a plug, requiring you cut the old plug off, and hard-wire the new plug-less alternator into your harness.

The 3G bypassed the 'plug' setup.
                        Last edited by ; 04-30-2009, 02:35 PM.

Comment

My small case 3G fit my 85 fine, except for needing the longer belt due to restricted adjustment range.
                          Just two wires to splice into the 3G harness, then you can throw away the original external regulator and all its wiring.
                          3G install into externally regulated '85
                          Last edited by 85crownHPP; 04-30-2009, 05:42 PM.
                          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                          sigpic
                          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I called the local napa here, (BIS, ND) and i had to give them th epart # and he told me $204. I really don't think its all that good of a deal, not when you can get a 160 amp unit and wiring from Ryan at http://rjminjectiontech.com/ for less...
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
                              My small case 3G fit my 85 fine, except for needing the longer belt due to restricted adjustment range.
                              Just two wires to splice into the 3G harness, then you can throw away the original external regulator and all its wiring.
                              3G install into externally regulated '85
                              I thought someone here had done it already, but I didn't have time to look.

Well, Ray, that answers your question.

Comment

Working...
                              X