AOD Trans Slipping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AOD Trans Slipping

i have a 1988 lincoln tc the transmission has begun to slip between almost every gear. when i take off it slips between 1st and 2nd and sometimes slips out when i stop at a red light. i dont know if the fluid has ever been changed but it looks good and doesnt smell burnt. ill be able to tell if its been changed when i take the pan off if the dipstick plug is in there. i also put a new bushing on the linkage that connects to the throttle body so thats not a problem. does anyone have any advise for me im going to change the fluid this weekend but if that doesnt help i didnt know if there was anything else I could to vs. getting a new one. thanks

Nope, time to replace.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Not much to do, maybe try giving it some more TV pressure but you're likely looking at a rebuild. I'd actually try more pressure before changing the fluid. If the fluid is full, doesn't smell cooked, and is still close to red changing it probably won't do much for you to be honest.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

ok cool thanks just for fun what do you think about a manual trans swap

Comment

I like it!
          1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
          2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by taylorendicott View Post
            ok cool thanks just for fun what do you think about a manual trans swap
            I thinks do a search

Comment

ok i didnt know if overall people liked the way it drove

Comment

Originally posted by Pesty351 View Post
                I like it!
                1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
                2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
                http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
                sigpic

Comment

I like manuals, but I'm not sure how I'd like one in a Towncar. Its all personal preference of course but somehow the idea of a floor shifter in a Townie seems a bit off to me.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I've been contemplating the same swap, on the same year TC, with the same problem. A custom driveshaft will be required, along with a bunch of other custom things.

I've driven a 5 speed crown vic, it was interesting. I did like it.

Comment

what all is different durning the swap from that of a crownvic or merc

Comment

Other than the driveshaft length required, nothing. Towncars are longer than a Vic, but thats really about it. Theres just no pre-made parts for doing a 5 speed in any panther, so you're left with custom-making a pedal assembly and using parts stolen and adapted from other vehicles to make it all work.

Comment

Working...
                        X