Some advice if you're replacing 03+ front shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some advice if you're replacing 03+ front shocks

I replaced the front shocks on my 05 CV last weekend. i had planned to take pics and upload them here, but forgot my camera (naturally).

the general tear down and rebuild is easy. just follow the steps in your Haynes manual and there's no confusion.

However, here's some strong advice:

1. Once you remove the strut assembly (the shock and spring are held together in one piece and locked in place with a spring seat on top of the shock) please do yourself a massive favor and take it to a shop so they can compress the spring and swap the shocks. It cost me about $50 to have this done and saved me hours and hours of frustration. I've tried to use the manual spring compressors we can rent from AutoZone or Napa; I used them on my 70 LeMans and I tried them on my CV last weekend. It isn't worth it. I highly recommend you just let a shop do it.

2. Have a friend help you with reinstallation of the strut assembly. This is what I mean:
    a. Have your friend press down on the lower control arm (be careful not to press down too far or suddenly or you'll risk damage to the ABS wire--this should be obvious to you once you get into the job).
    b. The top of the strut has three bolts that must go through three holes on the strut tower. Move the strut assembly into place so that the bolts go through the holes.
    c. Once the bolts are through the holes, your friend can release the lower control arm. The bottom end of the shock likely will NOT be lined up for the lower mounting bolt. Don't worry about that yet.
    d. Thread the nuts back onto the three bolts on top of the strut tower. This ensures the strut will stay in place. Don't tighten all the way...just enough to keep the strut in place.
    e. The next step is to align the bottom end of the strut (what I'll call the "eye") with the holes in the lower control arm. I did this by inserting a long (about 8-9") 1/2" ratchet extension through the eye at the bottom of the strut. Then, twist it slowly until it's aligned with the holes on the control arm.
    f. Insert the mounting bolt and follow the steps for reassembly. Don't forget to tighten down the three nuts on top of the strut tower.

NOTE: You will probably have to loosen the upper control arm mounting shaft nuts at some point during disassembly. If you do, make sure you torque them down to spec on reassembly. After I installed my wheels, I lowered my vehicle to about ride height and torqued them down then.

What I described here was by far the most difficult part of this job, so I hope my experience helps someone else. if you have any questions I'll be happy to clarify or explain further.
    05 Crown Victoria
    88 Grand Marquis

Thanks for the info!
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

What? '03+ uses a combined spring/shock assembly that you have to pull apart separately like with a strut? You're joking, right?
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Here's a panther front end:

Thanks BigB!

Pete
        Last edited by Piece-it pete; 06-22-2011, 09:45 AM.
        Originally posted by gadget73
        For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
        1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
        1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Luckily I had a Volvo spring compressor, which is made for heavy springs. Would have been nice to have a helper, but I tackled it alone, like all my projects.
          sigpic
          2009 GM, 45,000 miles
          ADDCO Sway Bars, METCO Control arms & Watts link, KYB CVPI shocks, 3.27 Track Lock, GT500 wheels, Eagle F1 Supercar tires, Walker dual exhaust, AFE Cold Air intake, ADTR ported upper manifold, Stillen Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, Hypertech Programmer, 93 tune.

Comment

Originally posted by Piece-it pete View Post
            Here's a panther front end:

Thanks BigB!

Pete
            Pic no worky, Gramps.

Comment

Eh sonny? Clic no burky? Tic no jerky? Bic no turkey?

DIC NO WORKY??! Nooooooo.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	crownvicfrontend.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	1265249

Pete
              Originally posted by gadget73
              For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
              1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
              1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

I see thingys there that look like struts! Noooooo!!!!!!

At least with a strut type arrangement, it's got to be pretty easy to install external spring compressors. Of course, I'm used to not even needing spring compressors. Ho, hum.

Comment

Is spring rate availability a bit more varied than for the earlier inboard-spring-pocket stuff?

Comment

Working...
                  X