Type F in a AOD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Type F in a AOD?

I'm planning on replacing the pan gasket and filter on my 83 LTD, at the same time doing a shift kit. I have plenty of Type F at home, so is that stuff good enough to run in my AOD?
    sigpic

If you want to replace the trans again, go ahead and use the type F.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Why is it that a fluid change tends to doom the AOD's? Mine was flushed and the fluid changed maybe 10K miles ago and im at 114K...so i guess i lucked out.
      -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Well i have not replaced the trans in this car ever, its got 119,000 miles on it and the trans fluid is looking kinda dark. i just figured if i where to change it with what i had at the house it would be good, but if Type F will kill the trans, i'll go buy the Mercon V.
        Last edited by hav24wheel; 05-05-2009, 03:04 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

type F is bad. mercon III is what came in it. Mercon V is good, but expensive. V is required on all Ford automatic transmissions after 95 or 96 IIRC
          http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
          http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

The only reason i asked about Type F is i run that stuff in my Off-road rig with a C6(1978), i have beat the hell out of that trans, heated it up untell you could smell it in the cab, nutral drops, go from reverse to drive without letting the engine drop below 3 grand, and that trans is the ONLY thing i have not replaced. i have had it for 6 years. i do change the fluid when it gets bad though...
            sigpic

Comment

A C6 isn't an AOD, they use different fluids.
              Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

if you use Mercon III in the C6 you can get a little firmer shifts. at least thats what i have heard. my aftermarker C4 requires Mercon III, but thats cause of the special clutches and bands i assume
                http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Well the C6 is going to get Type F tell it dies, its got a shift kit, and a 2500 stall converter in it, shifts nice. As for the AOD this is the first one i have had, thats part of the reason i asked about the fluid. i do know they don't have a very good reputation(sp?) compaired to the C4, and C6. I'm still learning when i comes to this trans.. hell i was hesitant on adjusting the kick down on the dam thing, due to reading about peoples problems with them.
                  sigpic

Comment

Dexron/Mercon III or V in the AOD only. The only place for F on a box is the power steering pump.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by hav24wheel View Post
                      i do know they don't have a very good reputation(sp?) compaired to the C4, and C6.
                      Ssshhhhh!!!! People around here HATE C4s!
                      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by hav24wheel View Post
                        Well the C6 is going to get Type F tell it dies, its got a shift kit, and a 2500 stall converter in it, shifts nice. As for the AOD this is the first one i have had, thats part of the reason i asked about the fluid. i do know they don't have a very good reputation(sp?) compaired to the C4, and C6. I'm still learning when i comes to this trans.. hell i was hesitant on adjusting the kick down on the dam thing, due to reading about peoples problems with them.
                        Just a polite little reminder....AOD transmissions don't have 'kickdowns'. That's a throttle valve cable, and very sensitive to monkeying around with it....

Comment

I love 3 speed transmissions. Just not with my 4.10 gear.
                          1989 Grand Marquis LS
                          flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate View Post
                            Just a polite little reminder....AOD transmissions don't have 'kickdowns'. That's a throttle valve cable, and very sensitive to monkeying around with it....
                            The only cable on my trans is the speedometer cable, it has a rod from the TBI to the side of the trans.....
                            sigpic

Comment

TV cable, TV rod, does the same thing.
                              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
                              X